Brakes went out today...........

I had the power master fuse blow a month ago i replaced it and all was good, however today i was driving and all of sudden the brake light came on and smoke from under the hood started to appear, i puled over poped the hood and the brake fluid is overflowing and burning off.......Should i fix this or just get a conversion kit for vacumm what is your recommendations?

Getting that powermaster back into shape is gonna be expensive. A rebuild with a brand new motor runs well over $800. The cardone remans aren't too great because they come with used motors. So only if you really like powermaster or gotta be original.... Otherwise ditch it

Getting that powermaster back into shape is gonna be expensive. A rebuild with a brand new motor runs well over $800. The cardone remans aren't too great because they come with used motors. So only if you really like powermaster or gotta be original.... Otherwise ditch it

Ok what conversions kit's would you recommend?

Don't even consider replacing the powermaster. Covert to vacuum and be done. Very easy conversion all parts still available at local parts store except pedal which is available here , flea bay or the local bone yard.

Don't even consider replacing the powermaster. Covert to vacuum and be done. Very easy conversion all parts still available at local parts store except pedal which is available here , flea bay or the local bone yard.

can you provide me with a list of what i need from the local parts store?

Sometimes looking in the "Parts For Sale" column you might find a complete unit and a good price.

kirban answers we offer two vacuum formats one includes a new machined pin to weld in the proper spot on your existing turbo brake pedal the other includes a correct brake pedal. That kit is part number #7625 sells for $389.95 includes everything you need except the skill to install it.

It is by far the most popular system we sell. We also offer two hydroboost systems and the rebuilt powermaster units.

While vacuum is heavily promoted if you own a low mileage original Turbo Regal the value will always be with the stock format.

As also been pointed out switching out the brake pedal from under the dash is the toughest part...the larger your body is the tougher this task is to do.....removing the drivers seat is a great answer. I have removed pedals from in the junk yards and ones with steering column already out of the car is easiest for me to do.

The two key features you will need if you go the cheap route and not available at auto stores is the vacuum block with port and of course that brake pedal you need.

We can offer both of these items...

good luck

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I would also say not to bother with the powermaster. In the end you will spend a LOT of money on a braking system that will still be pretty sub par and require a lot of maintenance to stay alive. Vacuum is an easy install but some will also suggest hydroboost if you want great clamping power with an otherwise stock system. I know my car is night and day different with that being the only change in my braking system. My powermaster even worked perfectly and I still decided to replace it because I wanted improved braking. Hydro is a more complicated install as you can see here. Weigh your options and decide. I will say that the only thing I would have done differently with hydro was to source a booster that has an accumulator. Since the stock hydro system from the 84/85 cars lacks this, guess what happens if your power steering pump goes?

Ok guys I can pick up a 1988 caprice brakebooster/mc combo new for a 100. What else would i need besides the pedal?
You need a vacuum source, some people T into the PCV line, but I used the billet vacuum block with brake booster port. You will also need a check valve if there isn't one with the new booster you are getting. Bench bleed the master or you'll get less than desired pedal feel/brake performance.

Probably best to run a dedicated vac line. You don't want some other device robbing your vacuum.

Consider volume of vacuum, I think I used 3/8" PCV hose (it matched the barbed fitting on the checkvalve). Use the PCV style hose on a spool (from the typical parts store) so it doesn't collapse under vacuum, especially after exposed to heat and oil from the plenum. Easiest way without waiting on the distribution block would be to T into the PCV.