Brake Pedal Assembly

oldtimer

Anybody know the difference between a GN brake pedal assembly and a Monte Carlo pedal assembly ?

Although discontinued, the GM parts book lists 2 differtent
part #'s :confused:

Thanks for any help here.

George

Pedals

Power master pedal is different from a vacuum. We have both if you need 1.

Power master pedal is different from a vacuum. We have both if you need 1.

Hey Brian,

Thanks for your quick reply. What I wanted to know the difference in the pedals for was, I'm converting to standard brakes ( no power/vacuum ) using a Wildwood master cylinder. I have access to a Monte Carlo pedal assembly and I was wanting to know if it would work. Perhaps a relocation of the pushrod hole "only" maybe.

What would be the modification to the Monte Carlo pedal vs the GN pedal ?

George

The difference is in the push rod pin size and location. The PM pin is larger in diameter and the rod from the vacuum booster wont slide on to it.

pedal ratio

If you are talking about installing manual brakes, then you will need to set the correct pedal ratio. You can do a search on the internet for "brake pedal ratio". This is a good one for info: Street Rod Brake Upgrade - Featured Vehicles - Hot Rod Magazine

You will find that your pedal is 13.5 inches from mounting point to the rubber pad. To get a 7:1 ratio ( preferred ) you will find that you will need to drill a new hole up from the original pushrod 1.93 inches. This gives you a ratio of 6.99:1. You cannot buy a peddle with this already done. I just did this to my setup. It is important you get this ratio right or you will have a hard pedal and it will not want to stop for you. Also I ground off the back side of the original push rod pin and pressed it out so it would not be in the way.

HTH

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a similar issue. I need to remove the powermaster as my master cylinder is leaking. I already pumped the brake pedal and removed the accumulator. How does the pedal separate from the powermaster? With all of the wires up there, I couldn't tell what size socket to use, if indeed it is a nut that I have to remove. Thanks!