brake light coming on. What does it mean??

christians87

Everytime I mash the brake pedal the brake light will come on for about 3 seconds then cut off even though the brakes are still applied. I have a completely stock brake setup. The brakes feel fine and the car has a good high pedal. Fluid level is good too.

check the parking brake- it might not be fully released and it only causes the light to turn on under hard braking for some reason.

The light coming on every time you press the pedal is trying to tell you that the braking system needs attention, immediately. Keep driving and your repair bill can become quite hefty.

Usually the light coming on when you hit the pedal and going off shortly thereafter is a sign of a pressure problem in the system and it almost always points to the need to replace the accumulator.

Accumulator Bowl...been there done that(as most of us have!). Gbody parts or Kirbans sell them. Easy to replace, but print out the procedure to depressurize the system so you dont get a mess of brake fluid all over your paint!!!!!

Stop driving it!!

TurboDave said:
The light coming on every time you press the pedal is trying to tell you that the braking system needs attention, immediately. Keep driving and your repair bill can become quite hefty.

+ Eleventy billion! You could run into something stationary...like a mustang.

Run your diagnostics to help in determining your problem - Powermaster Diagnostics

Yes, typically your problem is the accumulator, but there could be other issues. Don't spend money until you know what the problems are.

Bleeding and cycling procedures are at the link in my sig.

Thanks guys for the info. I know that the previous owner told me that he had replaced the accumulator once before and he also told me that they arnt very reliable units. Would it be a good idea to convert the car to a vaccum brake setup or hydroboost insted of repairing the stock stuff??

christians87 said:
....and he also told me that they arnt very reliable units.
That depends on who you ask.
I happen to think they are quite the excellent unit.
Mine has been failure free for over 8 years now.

When I started dealing with my GN it wasn't in very good shape, but I had to learn and figured out what they are all about. Now that I have mine in good condition (completely rebuilt and well maintained), I would only have Hydroboost to replace it. I don't think there is a vacuum system on the road that can react as fast as a PowerMaster.

The drawback to the brakes on a TR is the dinky front rotors and weak calipers....and the fact that the GM engineers didn't build a very good warning system to tell you that it isn't functioning correctly.

christians87 said:
Would it be a good idea to convert the car to a vaccum brake setup or hydroboost insted of repairing the stock stuff??

Hydroboost - yes.
Vacuum - not in my opinion.

How do you determind what is at fault. Is there a trouble shooting chart to follow or something that I can go by so I can figure out why this light is continueously comeing on. Its kinda annoying lol....