Brake issue

craig85006

Hello.

I am having issues with the brakes on my 1987 T-Type.

At first, the brake light on the dash would come on when the brake pedal was depressed. Now, the brake light stays on continually and the power master motor runs continuously. I THOUGHT it was the accumulator ball. So, I replaced it. But, there is no change. The power master motor still runs continuously and the brake light remains on. Of course, the brake pedal is rock hard. When I removed the reservoir cover while the ignition was on (to engage the power master motor), I could see the fluid "bubbling" or "circulating" in the last compartment (closest to the fire wall) on the "passenger" side of the reservoir. The fluid level did not change after the new accumulator ball was installed.

I am really clueless to what the issue could be. However, I need to get it fixed so I can start enjoying my Turbo again. She has been sitting since the brake problem surfaced months and months ago. I have only been able to start and driver her around the block to keep everything lubed.

PLEASE HELP!

Thank you.

Craig Lambert

P.S. I tried to upload an mp4 video. But, I guess this site does not allow video uploads?? If anyone wants to view the video (7 seconds), email me at craig85006@yahoo.com, and I'll send it to you directly.

Last edited:
That is what a friend of mine said a bit ago. So, I am going to order one. HOPEFULLY, that will cure the problem.

Why don’t you see if there’s a way to test it . I don’t get why some ppl just guess at problems and randomly throw parts at it . If I had the cash just to buy abunch of parts I guess that is one way of figuring out a issue . U might have a whole car brand new at the end lol . But seriously I’m sure there is a way to test the parts to see if they are operational . That way you are not guessing . Can you plum in a pressure gauge and see what kinda pressure you are getting ? Have you bleeded the brakes before to see if u have any air bubbles in the line ?

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/brakes/PwrMstr.html

Try following this and report back. Step 4 is probably what you want. The pressure switch would cause the boost motor to never shut off because it can permanently read low. You might as well just replace it, it's going to go bad eventually, and it's probably bad right now.
I changed out the pressure switch. The powermaster motor still does not shut off and the brake light remains on after 7 seconds. The brake pedal is hard as a rock, too. I don't know what else it could be.

I just wonder if I should invest the $$ to have the booster converted to a vacuum assist like I did on one of my Grand Nationals??? Probably less of a headache in the long run...

Any other suggestions or possibilities to what could be the issue with the brakes on my vehicle? It's really frustrating not being able to drive her!!!!

Search posts by zeus87gn. He's got excellent info on the powermaster brake system.