Bov

supercoupe5

when i had my turbo laser a lot of the people were going to a bov with an external dump insted of recurculating it. is that popular in the turbo buick world. dave

In the Turbo Buick community, very rarely will you see any form of recirculation, bypass, or blow off valve used. If you do decide to retro fit one onto your car and it has a MAF, it is recommended to recirculate it back into the MAF pipe, and not vent to atmosphere. If you have converted your car over to speed density and have eliminated the MAF sensor, then a blow off valve would be fine. Seeing a recirculation, bypass, or blow off valve on a street driven Buick is very un-common. There are those that do it and make it work, but it is a rare site.

Patrick

Automatics doen't need BOVs as much since you dont have to back off the throttle while accelerating (like you would when shifting a manual). A recirculating BOV will not hurt, but a TR is just fine without one.

I've been using one for years...[about 5] flawlessly..... some say dont - others say do.... i say do what you want.... i paid my hard earned dollars for my expensive turbo and i figure the added protection from turbo "shudder" would be worth it, + i like being different. AND fyi you DONT need to recirculate on a BUICK because once you lift off the throttle the ECM goes into decceleration fuel cut-off and isnt adding fuel anyway so you dont have to account for any air that has passed through the MAF...... just vent to atmosphere.

I've been using one for years...[about 5] flawlessly..... some say dont - others say do.... i say do what you want.... i paid my hard earned dollars for my expensive turbo and i figure the added protection from turbo "shudder" would be worth it, + i like being different. AND fyi you DONT need to recirculate on a BUICK because once you lift off the throttle the ECM goes into decceleration fuel cut-off and isnt adding fuel anyway so you dont have to account for any air that has passed through the MAF...... just vent to atmosphere.

Can you post a picture of what yours looks like? Also what brand did you go with? Is there any tips or tricks we would need to know about to install one. I agree that these turbos are too expensive to ruin when you can avoid it. On the track it may not be necessary but on the street it is not a bad idea if you decide to get on the car and have to let out quickly.

ok i understand that it is not needed on a TR and an auto trans. BUT i love the sound of the atmosphere dump. i would also like to see pics of the set up you have royal-T-Ltd if its not too much trouble. dave

new2.jpg

this one i used to run..

but later swapped for a HKS SSQV

a turbo buick doesnt need a recirculation kit.. ECM has DFCO and other functions to where it doesnt need to be reciculated

You do not need to recirculate the BOV, no problems at all. Here is a pic of mine...Tial 50mm with 11psi spring

Attachments

• SD550 009.jpg
    SD550 009.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 211
Automatics doen't need BOVs as much since you dont have to back off the throttle while accelerating (like you would when shifting a manual). A recirculating BOV will not hurt, but a TR is just fine without one.

really? so what happens when you are under boost and take your foot off the gas?

it spits back out the turbo intake pipe/tube/hose and out the filter. Its called surge. In many cases this "surge" is louder then any BOV. Surge makes the turbo fan spin backwards and hurts the life of the bearing system.

tial owns, nice sound and great quality! Tial is one of those products i would say are like THDP's. They will always hold their value over the years.

Been around these cars since 1986, and have owned 6 of the things. Many, many miles of romping on the loud pedal, and have never seen one failure due to turbo sneeze.

BOV sounds like rice to me........

Been around these cars since 1986, and have owned 6 of the things. Many, many miles of romping on the loud pedal, and have never seen one failure due to turbo sneeze.

BOV sounds like rice to me........

the nice thing about living in 2007 is the fact that we have updated technology and knowhow so we do not have to rely on the technology and knowhow from 1984.

the less thrust bearing load the better

I run an SSQV and I love it. I am sure there are many high mileage stock turbos out there that have been getting slammed backwards year after year and are still doing fine, but that still doesn't mean it's harmless. I could smoke cigarettes for the next 20 years and probably wouldn't die either, doesn't mean that it's "good".

Regardless of saving the turbo or not, I do also notice that the boost picks up faster again in a situation where you get off the gas and then get right back on it, because the turbo didn't start spinning in the wrong direction, so boost kicks right in again.