Bore rust

Martin U

I had removed my new engine ,just to check the condition of it after my rebuild and to add some heli-coil inserts to my heads just to be safe later.
I have this engine in a sealed bag with a dessicant for storage. I noticed a small patch of surface /hazing rust in one of my bores 1x1 . Not much kinda just a dis-coloration. How should I deal with this? I built this engine to be strong and trouble free, so I do not have to do this again for a long time.
Is there a way I should clean this rust off. Was thinking a light touch with a 3M pad would do it. Will I have to worry over the long run? What effect on my total-seal rings? I only have about 1000 mi on it. Runs strong
Mart Urbanski

WD-40. It will be your best friend. Use it liberally. Wipe down the engine then spray it again. Re-wrap with another (different) bag.

Hope this helps you.

Thank you!! I was up in the air about using that. I didn't know about the effect on the rings..but after a few 23# sprints I guess the rings are seated now.Glad to not hear..pull it apart and rehone all the bores.
Thanks again
Mart

WD-40. It will be your best friend. Use it liberally. Wipe down the engine then spray it again. Re-wrap with another (different) bag.

Hope this helps you.

WD40 contains water. It will rust. edit: I was told it had water in it. I have put it on a crank (that was mostly slick... but might need turning).... and after sitting a month or so on my workbench in my garage... it had surface rust on it. Just my experience.

good old 20w50 or thicker doesn't do to bad..... but IMHO... WD40 sux at preventing rust.