boost with stock injectors

vkohanski

I tried searching, but didn't see where anyone mentioned the maximum boost you can run with stock injectors. Yes, I've had the car for 4 1/2 years and just plain driving it. I'm just now trying to learn how to turn it up a bit. It does have an adjustable actuator and adjustable fuel pressure regulator. It was maxing around stock boost (13-14). I turned the adjustable actuator 1/2 turn and now it's hitting something close to 16 lbs. Fuel pressure is 45 line off and around 36 line on. Gunning it (not under full load) I can see fuel pressure jump to around 53-54. I still don't have all the proper measurement tools, but I'll get there. It's a Walbro pump, but without the hot-wire kit (on order). Injectors will also get upgraded and chip is unknown, until that gets changed.

For some reason, I'm not sure it felt as strong as the lower boost. It could just be me. Going to the track tomorrow night (only the second time it's been there) and may try a time like that and then a time with the boost rolled back, since it's pretty easy to do, and see what the numbers say.

I'm not planning to overdo it with this car as I mostly just enjoy driving it around town, but thought it time to turn it up just a bit. (I do hear it's a disease, though, once it starts.)

If it's got the stock 26 year old injectors I wouldn't push them any harder than a trip to the store at 1/4 throttle. Time to wait on that hotwire kit, get the fuel flow sorted out and put a modern chip in there.

As of right now, you're on the way to blown head gaskets if you're lucky.

Yep, it probably feels slower because it's pulling timing/leading to a head gasket problem. Do NOT race it without a scanmaster unless you put straight race gas in it and then you'll foul your O2 quickly.

Unless you changed the valve springs, its probably floating the valves with the increase in boost pressure. If everything is bone stock, your stock injectors should be able to support 3 more psi of boost providing that your injectors are not stopped up.