Boost-Fuel psi Delta alarm

hrhoward

Go Team Venture!!!
Say, I have been reading about the Walbro pump issues for a little while now and have a question.

Has anyone made a gadget that can be set up to monitor Boost psi and Fuel psi together, detect when the ratio goes out of range, shut things down before serious damage occurs, and have a big nasty red light?

I know you can monitor all this with the Powerlogger but a separate device would be extra insurance.

Any thoughts, comments?

p.s. Also going to post this in Scantool Tech.

thought about doing this years ago, just never have sat down and cobbled it together.

I might bring this up to some friends of mine that work in instrumentation for NASA.

Been there done that.

Two issues, the first being a big liability issue. If the engine should cut out, say, during a full throttle blast on a populated street, the car loses power steering (and power brakes if converted to vacuum) causing the driver to lose control, possibly hitting another vehicle or pedestrian. Big problem.

Second issue, the engine would be assumed to be protected - unless it doesn't work quite right, causing an engine to take a hit. Since it's designed to prevent that, the manufacturer of the device would now become liable for damages. Even if the end user didn't install it properly, even if the head gaskets were already leaking, even if there were multiple problems with the engine or transmission, the fact that it's there presumes full liability.

Not a very good thing from a manufacturers' point of view.

That's my 2 cents...

Or keep the engine running, just momentary kill the boost via a solenoid valve between the compressor and the actuator.

If you were running a stock type solenoid you could simply use a relay off the tracking device to open the connection to the power lead to one or two solenoids.

That way you could lower your boost approx. 6psi., or 10psi. or so with duals assuming you actually hit your setpoint.

That theoretically could bring you back down to a safe boost level under similar high power conditions and would be something you could feel and let out of it.

A simple audible alarm could also be done for manual gas pedal shutdown. ;)

You would need two accurate transducers, and simply use a voltage window comparator, or subtracting/adding opamp. circuits, or both to run it.

70's/80's electronics should be all you would need.

DIY so it becomes your liability. :eek: :biggrin: