Boost Conroller

nash421

I currently have a Hallman boost controller but I would like something I could control from inside the cockpit. I was thinking about Aem tru boost gauge but not sure yet. Any suggestions or anyone have this that could give me some feedback? Thanks

Hallman has a cable you can run from the boost controller into the cabin.

You realize screwing with your boost from inside the car throws off your fueling, right?

On my car, I've got the boost set a couple of pounds less than when my engine would so 'splodey. Anytime I want lower boost, I just push the gas pedal a little less.

The more I thought about it I am going to leave it in the engine bay. The only reason I was gonna move was to get boost dialed in then not screw with it

why would it throw off fueling?
Unless you use some sort of wideband tracking, a car tuned for 25 psi an say 11.0 A/F will start to lean out with the added air/ boost.
Decreasing boost will make the car rich.
Even the wideband correction will have to constantly adjust fueling to try to maintain the A/F ratio.
Set it and forget it. Use the throttle as needed. Non many cars here can use a ton of WOT on the streets.

TT chips need adjusting as they are static fuel delivery at wot. Bailey chips read actual airflow at wot so if boost is raised, fuel will go up too. As long as you're using a translator and aftermarket maf.

TT chips need adjusting as they are static fuel delivery at wot. Bailey chips read actual airflow at wot so if boost is raised, fuel will go up too. As long as you're using a translator and aftermarket maf.
Further clarification, please.:)

It's because the ECM can only read to 255 on the airflow. When you exceed that, the ECM has no idea if it needs to send fuel for 256 or 1000 g/sec of air. That means for proper WOT fueling, you have to adjust it yourself. More boost means more fuel.

Further clarification, please.:)

Just like it states. Bob splits the maf signal and can make a chip read wot airflow with an aftermarket maf and translator. He can double or triple the flow the ecm can read and thus, Bailey chips adjust wot fuel based upon actual airflow and not just static fuel delivery at wot. You still adjust the tune richer or leaner with the translator but once that's set, you can adjust boost and afr will stay the same. You need to adjust fuel with boost changes on a tt chip. Some like tt chips better.

If you're playing around with a boost controller make sure you have a way to monitor a/f and knock. Otherwise it's a recipe to hurt the motor.

Just like it states. Bob splits the maf signal and can make a chip read wot airflow with an aftermarket maf and translator. He can double or triple the flow the ecm can read and thus, Bailey chips adjust wot fuel based upon actual airflow and not just static fuel delivery at wot. You still adjust the tune richer or leaner with the translator but once that's set, you can adjust boost and afr will stay the same. You need to adjust fuel with boost changes on a tt chip. Some like tt chips better.
Thanks for the replies. Learned something new about the difference between Eric's and Bob's chips that I didn't know before. Seeing as I have a boost controller, wideband, and knock reading capabilities, may have to give one of Bob's a try. Not to say I'm unhappy with my TT chip, just sounds like a fun way to learn more about tuning. Thanks!

If I'm thinking right boost controllers just make it easy and quick to adjust boost either under the hood or in the car?

Sounds like a neat idea at first but why not just use the actuator rod and set your desired boost and tune the car and be done? That's what my plan is. I don't want a street tune and a track tune, I just want one tune.

Now is a boost controller used in conjunction with the actuator or does it replace it?

Last edited:
The boost controller delays the signal to the wastegate and speeds up spooling by not venting exhaust energy during spool up...

...the other thing is does (on certain cars) fixes overboosting. If you have to stretch the wastegate rod banjo tight, it can't open enough (sometimes) to keep from overboosting. In that case, you can give resolution back to the wastegate setup.