Boost cant be lowered

marleyskater420

still needs to learn
I just rebuilt the motor and installed RJC's boost controller and have a new wastegate on there, and the boost soars upwards of 26psi when I floor it.

I have the WG set as low as possible, and the RJC controller as loose as it can be.

What could be the issue?

You probably need to enlarge the wastegate hole in the exhaust housing of the turbo...

Really?

I thought if it out-flowed the puck it WOULDNT build boost.

Can I port the WG puck with the turbo on the car?

marleyskater420 said:
Really?

I thought if it out-flowed the puck it WOULDNT build boost.

Can I port the WG puck with the turbo on the car?

Please dont, it is really easy to pull the turbo!
Who did you motor???

John Wilde said:
Please dont, it is really easy to pull the turbo!
Who did you motor???

The reason I ask, is I hate pulling off the turbo.

I did my motor, with the help of Steve B. putting on the heads, and with his guidance, I did the rest of it myself.

Why do you ask?

marleyskater420 said:
I just rebuilt the motor and installed RJC's boost controller and have a new wastegate on there, and the boost soars upwards of 26psi when I floor it.

I have the WG set as low as possible, and the RJC controller as loose as it can be.

What could be the issue?

You should try the wastegate setting without the RJC controller. That will rule out either the controller or the wastegate.

If the wategate hole can not flow enough exhaust, the exhaust will go through the turbine and spin the turbo even faster, which will make more boost.

marleyskater420 said:
The reason I ask, is I hate pulling off the turbo.

I did my motor, with the help of Steve B. putting on the heads, and with his guidance, I did the rest of it myself.

Why do you ask?

I was just curious because there and not that many people doing them in our area. I would like to see your car at some point.

Best regards,

John Wilde said:
I was just curious because there and not that many people doing them in our area. I would like to see your car at some point.

Best regards,

Shoulda come to the meeting, it was the last one Ill be at for a while.

I am helping a club member install his PAC kit next friday, you can come by if you wish. I'd really like to meet you as you seem to be one of,if not the most intelligent turbo I know of, besides the keyboard ninja Mr.Chow.

My car isn't worth seeing. The only cool thing is that it has leather.

marleyskater420 said:

Too high of EGTs can cause higher then expected boost.
Any idea of what they're running?, or access to a Wideband?.

bruce said:
Too high of EGTs can cause higher then expected boost.
Any idea of what they're running?, or access to a Wideband?.

My 02's were around 750-820's depending on how high the boost spiked.

marleyskater420 said:
My 02's were around 750-820's depending on how high the boost spiked.

I've found an 820 to be anything from an 11.5 to a 12.5 actual AFR. A 12.5 is too lean, IMO.

Considering you have a fresh engine, maybe it might be worth an EGT, and WB to protect it... :)

something is hooked up wrong/not working right

as suggested, take off the RJC

then connect wastegate to compressor with the gate loose.....this should lower the boost

a non ported wastegate hole usually results in a spike, not uncontrolled boost

I have the WG set as low as possible
That means you have the rod LOOSE, so there is no preload on the wastegate actuator. If you have the rod loose, then the puck should be open slightly, and boost should build slowly, and should not end up as high as you got it. Is the puck "stuck"? Sometimes the little arm gets stuck where it passes through the casting, and you have to work it loose, and use some lube.

Ormand said:
That means you have the rod LOOSE, so there is no preload on the wastegate actuator. If you have the rod loose, then the puck should be open slightly, and boost should build slowly, and should not end up as high as you got it. Is the puck "stuck"? Sometimes the little arm gets stuck where it passes through the casting, and you have to work it loose, and use some lube.

The boost hits quickly, and the puck does not seem loose.

azgn said:
something is hooked up wrong/not working right

as suggested, take off the RJC

then connect wastegate to compressor with the gate loose.....this should lower the boost

a non ported wastegate hole usually results in a spike, not uncontrolled boost

I took off my previous boost controller and did what you said and it didn't lower the boost, it just made it take FOREVER to built boost.

I don't really think I installed the RJC wrong, and I double checked how it goes.

All I have for exhaust is the downpipe, and nothing else, could this be an issue?

I need less boost!! Help!!

disconnect the wastegate arm from the puck.....you should have maybe 5 lbs of boost

then start looking for what is wrong

The boost hits quickly, and the puck does not seem loose
If the puck was not loose, then you didn't have the adjustment backed off all the way. Do what azgn said, disconnect the wastegate actuator from the arm.

marleyskater420 said:

I took off the arm of the wastegate completely, and the boost went to 5psi, then shotup to 20psi before I lifted. This is without the WG arm on the puck, and with the puck NOT sticking.

marleyskater420 said:
I took off the arm of the wastegate completely, and the boost went to 5psi, then shotup to 20psi before I lifted. This is without the WG arm on the puck, and with the puck NOT sticking.

Any help anyone?