Boost cant be lowered

Is this a hot air?

If this is a 84/85 check to make sure the vacuum hoses are not hooked up backwards on the wastegate accuator. Been there done that... :eek:

Sounds like it could be a combination of not enough flow through the waste gate, and (even though it is new)a defective waste gate accuator. First check the accuator with a small hand held vac pump. Does it hold vacume? Swing the waste gate open and closed with your fingers. How much movement does it have? 1/4, 1/2, 3/4? There could be something in the houseing resticting how far it opens. In the end, it looks like you need to pull the turbo, then the housing, and find out what is restricting it. Good luck. Danny

If you take a piece of vaccum hose directly from the port in the compressor housing to the w/g actuator, how much boost do you get?

I've had plenty of over-boost conditions that were caused by the orifice in the "Y" of the oem hose, especially when recently replaced with a new one. It seems that GM's outsource for those changed the size to a smaller orifice. My fix has been to enlarge the orifice hole slightly.

K.

You have a faulty ATR internal wastegate downpipe- Looks just like a THDP.

Check to see how easily you can take the arm from closed to wide open, if it binds at all, then spend 20.00 shipping to ATR and they will fix it for free and ship it back for free.

Are you sure that its NOT binding when its HOT?
Mine F-d with me with 3 different turbos on the car :mad:

Let us know, sure the hole aint welded shut?
BW

dumb question when u set the rod "low " which way did u turn it alot of people turn it the wrong way did u make it longer or shorter got to start with the obvious questions first check vac lines and fitings for leaks also
good luck

Anthony

I have the same problem. W/ the rjc controller on my 1 year old gt-61 the boost shoots to at least 24. When i just loop the vac hose from the comp. to the wastegate i get 19. This is with a heavy duty actuator and the rod just slipping on the wastgate.

Simple remedy, take the RJC apart and pinch the spring to compress it a little more. Worked for me, the spring was too tight and would not release the boost..

gaminoree said:
Simple remedy, take the RJC apart and pinch the spring to compress it a little more. Worked for me, the spring was too tight and would not release the boost..

I took all vacuum off the turbo, and just left the wg by itself, and boost hit 20+psi.

The only thing controlling the boost was the WG puck, and that sure as hell wasnt sticking because I could see it open at idle.

My turbine housing needs to be ported it seems like.