bog on top end during WOT run

jsta6

John 15:17
Went to a 1/8 mile track last night...

Running in OD, the car wont shift from 2-3. The RPM's just climb and climb until it starts to lose power or bog down. Letting off, then getting back on the throttle seems to help, but that is not a fix. Once it does shift, it is smooth and the 3-4 shift is fine.

The car shifts fine at 3/4 thottle. Only WOT runs are a problem.

I adjusted my TV cable before going to the track, could I have moved it to far?

I did manually shift on my last run, but it was my first time and the times werent as good (and I accidentally went from 2-N instead of 2-3, which really pissed my car off)...

My 60' times were consistently 2.0 and 1.9.
My 1/8 times were 9.2-9.8.

I hope you are using a scan tool. The TV cable is self adjusting. Once it sets itself, don't touch it. If you set it correctly, it sounds like your trans may have a Montecarlo SS govenor and its trying to shift at 5700 rpm (good luck getting there with a stock motor)

Are you getting any knock? Do you have a new fuel pump? what has been done to the car?

Sounds to me like you monkeyed up the TV cable adjustment:

1. Fix the TV cable.
2. Let the car shift itself - it'll be faster and a lot easier on your wallet.

Man, and all this stuff happens to you in the 1/8th mile????? You're working way too hard, my friend...

:D

The sound of your engine bogging is the valves floating! hopefully when it went into neutral it didnt overrev too badly and damage a valve or a valve seat

my mods can be found here:
http://personal.mia.bellsouth.net/mia/s/h/shawnco/gn.html

I do have turbolink, but it is giving me fits right now...maybe a ground problem or fan relay interference...

I am not getting any knock. I have an SMC kit and it is working fine.

3/4 throttle shifts are fine. Only WOT shifts are hanging up on the top end...

once it shifts, things are fine...

car is running great and no codes...

He ran a 13.8 in stock trim, so it has worked before, and it is a freshly rebuilt tranny from a known TR tranny guru down here.

I just had my tranny freshened too. With the GM recommended TV setup procedure, my car was shifting HARD and would stay in gear also forever like you mentioned. I let a little out (1 or 2 clicks towards the radiator) and she is behaving very well now.

So as I move the TVS adjustment to soften the shifts, the shift RPM goes up? Is this correct?

Have you replaced the valve springs yet? Seems like you should be running high 12's. I had a bog like that once--I was flooding it with alcohol. Alcohol and high octane gas don't always mix.
Keith

my tv cable doesnt set itself. i changed it a little tighter one day. and i pulled it wot. and it didnt go back to stock settings. i thought that was how you reset it. does this mean the housing or cable is bad?

Originally posted by BLACK6PACK
a known TR tranny guru down here.

:rolleyes:

Well, I did have to take him my car back 6 times before things got better. He said my 5K mile 2800 stall went bad and guess what, It was perfectly fine. :mad:

Checked my new servo to see if I could shimme it a little and guess what, IT WAS ALREADY SHIMMED OUT TO THE MAX. (It's not supposed to be like that on a brand new tranny)

Let's see how long it lasts.

Good luck Captain.

Originally posted by terryk
So as I move the TVS adjustment to soften the shifts, the shift RPM goes up? Is this correct?

Moving the plunger out (soften shifts) lowers the shift rpm (normal shifts, not WOT shifts). WOT shifts are primarilly controlled by the governor, unless you push the TV plunger in too far and raise TV pressures so high it can't shift in some cases (like what jsta6 probably has).

In some cases the TV plungers won't self adjust. I know mine won't, I've seen some that do and just as many that won't, so the best thing to do is get it adjusted so it's at a comfortable shifting point for normal street driving and leave it there.
Let the tranny do it's own thing.