Body stuck to the frame?

PigGuy

Ok, I've got a '86 GN, I was changing my body mounts when I ran into a problem.
I got all of the passenger side mounts switched with no problems at all, I also got the rear, #5 installed, and the #6, #7 and #4 installed. I put my T-bar made out of 2x4's under the door, just as I had done on the passenger side, and as I jacked it up, it only went a couple inches.
I couldn't get the #2 or #3 bushing out of the car... as I turned my creeper, I bumped the jackstand, which was an inch too low! I got out from under there as fast as I could... and replaced the jackstand under the frame. As I lowered the jack, the frame went also. My frame is stuck to the body! I've removed all the bolts for the bushings, #1-7 on the drivers side are not bolted in, on the passenger side, they're in place, but not tightened.

I can't figure out what the hell would be holding the frame to the body... the only things that I can see are attached to both the frame and body are the linkage from the tranny to the steering collum, the brakelines and the steering shaft from the colum to the power-steering pump. I can't immagine that any of that stuff would keep it from lifting off the frame.
I do have the bumpers off of the car.

Any ideas? It's got to be something really stupid I just haven't thought of.

Oh... the body lifts a couple inches from the frame before the frame comes with it.

I remember someone, possibly TurboDave, having a problem wher e the power steering hoses were in the way and he broke one of the ends where the hose attached off the power steering reservoir.

David
87GN

I can't think of what could be holding it together? I didn't have any problems with mine. The fuel lines come from the tank to the bottom of the body, I dont know? :confused: Big help I was.
Tarey D.

Originally posted by TurboDave
The instructions in that second link are the one's I used and are very accurate, BUT they forgot one important step, and I still cringe at the thought of the mess I made because of it.

Here's the VITAL MISSING step: remove the 10mm screws holding the power steering reservoir to it's braket and let it hang loose, it won't go any where.

The reason that step is needed is, when you raise the driver's side of the body ( I raised mine a good 4" to get my hands up in there to get bushing #2 out) as the body is lifted it also brings with it the PS reservoir attached to the fender liner. The hoses attached to it are attached to the steering pump and box (mounted on the engine and frame). They don't lift, so the hoses got pulled taught and ripped the bottom of the PS reservoir out dumping all the PS fluid on my carpeted garage floor :eek: :mad:

Yeah, but he said it broke before that happened... I'll definitely unhook that before I try it again, but I doubt those hoses would lift the whole frame and engine.

The parking brake cable, eh? I'll try that one tomorrow... but that's another one I'm not too sure if it's that strong, but I'd think that would be a lot stronger than the PS hoses.

I unhooked the PS pump from the frame... didn't work.
I unhooked the parking brake cable... didn't work.
Then I noticed that the stock driveshaft loop thingie was touching the driveshaft, as I lifted up the body again, from the very begining, I noticed the tranny was moving up with the body, so I removed the driveshaft loop thingie... didn't work.

The body is STILL stuck to the frame, it moves maybe three inches up, and then the frame comes with it.
I'm really worried about this... if I'm lifting the body, and the frame is coming with it, then the body is lifting the entire engine, drivetrain, ect... what could be strong enough to lift the entire engine and frame that's attached to both the frame and the body?