body bushings

truckindude

So I finally forced myself to change my body bushings.WOW! They made a huge difference,used energy poly kit and all new bolts,rides like never before.So I got it back together and took it for a ride,got home went to turn off the car and I cant turn the ignition key back all the way to lock the column and pull the key out.Any ideas?Something broken in the ignition I maybe?

In the mean time if you havent figured it out turn the end of the column counter clockwise until the key comes out. Get under the driverside and adjust the linkage and it will be fine.

So did it make the body sit higher after the new bushings? I plan on doing bushings but I dont want the body any higher if I can avoid it.

Yes it did,right after I finished it was up about an inch,havent checked it to see if it settled at all.I didnt want mine any higher either but I plan to change springs eventually anyway,so I figured I will fix it that way.I feel like the extra height is worth it for the amount of difference I feel in the way it drives.

Im thinking of milling my new urathane bushings and sleeves down before install. They sell shorter body bushings for older muscle cars like the first gen fbody. Shouldnt be a big deal as long as you leave some body to frame clearance.

My car raised about 1/2" after I installed the bushings. My car also locks the keys into place. I just twist the column a little when I get out. It's second nature to me now.

My car raised about 1/2" after I installed the bushings. My car also locks the keys into place. I just twist the column a little when I get out. It's second nature to me now.
I adjusted the rod going from the trans to the column and everything is fine with the ignition again.:D Actually an easy fix,unlike pretty much everything else.