body bushing

NorEaster

I know this subject has been beaten to death. I thought I had marked a thread with step by step instructions but couldn't find it (search doesn't seem as powerful on my phone).

I have a touch of rust starting on my inner rocker panels and cannot reach it to scrape it with how close the frame rail is. Figure if I have to jack up the body it would be a good time to do the bushings. Also I am missing the classic ones and most are cracked.

Can someone help with the easiest way to replace the bushings?

Will there be enough room to reach the inner rockers so I can rust proof them?

Thank you for the help in advance.

Sent from my DROIDX using Turbo Buick. please mind the auto-correct

First things first, take a 15mm socket with either a breaker bar or impact and make sure all of the bolts come free. If so, its about a 2-3 hour job and not hard at all. If any of them spin freely you're in for a treat... Remove the bumpers and unbolt the power steering reservoir. That way I do them is to loosen all of the bolts first, jack up under the gas tank and replace the position 6 & 7 bushings, along with adding the GNX bushing (5 position). Then, jack up each side under the rocker to replace the 2, 3, 4 bushings (dont forget to add the lowers) and do one side at a time while leaving the bolts in for the opposite side. Lastly, jack up under the rad support to get the position 1 bushings. Once everything is back down the and body is settled over the bushings and in proper position, torque the bolts to spec (forget right now, its on gnttype.org somewhere).

As I said, its not really that bad of a job as long as all of the bolts come free. It really becomes self explanatory once you get into it. Good luck, you will be amazed at the difference when the jobs done.

I had 5 spin freely. I've been working on them today. Some of the rubber is missing or smashed flat as a pancake!