BMW owner tapes black car to white

trev0006

Banned
BMW owner tapes black car to white
g4.jpg

g5.jpg

g7.jpg

When a BMW 335i owner in Munich became bored with his black coupe, he hired a team to wrap it in white tape. Two days later, he drove home in his refreshed "Alpine White" coupe (with an M3-appearing black roof). No, it's not normal tape. It's a special 3M wrap, and the process is known as "foiling." Apparently, the German military has been using the process (with an olive drab tape) for some time now. Likewise, the process is popular with race teams and taxi companies. Available in countless colors, the tape itself is thick enough to protect the paint from minor chips and nicks, and it can be left adhered to the surface for 3-4 years without damage (!). Adhesion isn't a problem either, as the tape can even withstand an automatic car wash without peeling off. Thanks for the tip Frank.
Source: Autoblog

3M wrap, transparent front end bras usually run in excess of $400 installed, so I'm betting he's got several thousand invested in that job (materials and labor).

It depends. I had the company smart car wrapped and I think it was about $2000. A normal SUV or full size car is about $4000 and vans run into the $5000 range. Depends on how much you do. These prices are for graphically wrapped cars. Its vinyl and they send it through a large format printer first. So, in actuallity you are inkjetting your car instead of painting it. :cool:

Attachments

• greencar_ppt.jpg
    greencar_ppt.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 253
I've seen guys wrap a Miami Dolphins van in just a few hours. Doing a wrap with one solid color would probably not be too expensive. Depends on the car. Newer cars with no bumpers take no time. A car with more details and gingerbread would cost more. My guess is you could get what the BMW had done for around $2000-$2500. Just takes a heat gun and some skillz!

The real question is how lightfast are they? Will it fade after being out in the sun for a year or two? Neat idea.

car looks good in the pic but i would like to see it up close. anyways pretty cool

I guess we should be on the lookout for white GN's!:biggrin:

That is kinda cool though. I have been tinting windows for 20+ yrs, I bet I could do that myself! I have done some of the front end protection stuff and lettered a couple of race cars and that stuff didn't seem to bad.

Whoa, I wouldn't of thought of doing that but hell that makes some sense if they can do it right.

By the way, the green car was a black car to begin with. And that is white vinyl that was sent through an inkjet printer.

I know its around $2500 to wrap a vehicle,a guy local has his tubbed out 76 vette wrapped in grey camo with diamond plate ripping apart from the front and it looks really awesome and it was on pinks pass time to...

I have a friend local to me that does it and he would do a wrap for $1500 as times are tough and more and more people do it,he actually just did my work van and the rear window of my car for $600 and that included the art work!
And you can see out the rear window like nothing is there!

wrap005.jpg

wrap006.jpg

wrap002.jpg

ive got alot more response from this than the magnets..