Bluetooth

TurboTnZ06

Go on red!
These guys have my idea on OBDII. If I have time, I'm going to try to revisit broadcasting the powerlogger usb signal via bluetooth and pick it up on my ipad/iphone/pc wirelessly...

Naturally, logging to the cloud is the next step, that means you could share logs easily or view them in the trailer on the laptop without unplugging or plugging anything in, or losing logs when a laptop dies.

Hey,
I talked to Bob Bailey about this last year in Bowling Green. Here is going to be your problem. First you will have to re-write PL ot work on iOS and Android first. Now figure what ports you can make work. I have talked to a couple of people that do this kinda stuff and they didn't want to tackle it. I would love to see it get done. Let me know..

Yeah, it's going to not make money, there's no ROI from my initial numbers and my current rate. I know its string data coming over I'd have to read from USB and then first re-engineer what powerlogger app does on a wired up PC first so I know what the data is coming over to test to see how it works. Then I'd have to figure out how pass that same data stream over bluetooth via USB (I've never done that but I'd have to research it). Then I'd try to consume that bluetooth data stream hoping to pull the same values to a PC wirelessly the same as a usb connection. Once that works, then I'd mock the API and code the same thing over in iOS. Once the mock data is working in the iOS app, I'd try to pair the real bluetooth data service to the iOS app and in theory it should work. Lots of steps, lots of testing using low level stuff. I've coded at a very high level the past 15yrs, but my briar patch was "coding" assembler to motorola 68000 boards. That's just to read data, skipping the powerlogger app's ability to write updates. It's an interesting problem to solve, it would be cool. I liked seeing that someone did it for OBDII (bigger market of course).

That is most definitely. There are several apps out there for OBD II for the iPhone that log data. Nothing for OBD I.... I have called numerous companies and no one supports it. I think it is a wonderful idea. I think that it would be more functional if you could also make tuning adjustments. I have an ipod 3, iPhone 4, iPad 2 (all jailbroke) and would be willing to help test for you. I know my way around the iOS a little, but not an expert.

TurboTnZ06, if you're still interested in pursuing this please let me know. I'm up for writing some code and testing a Bluetooth interface. I think it will be tough (maybe impossible) to get the PL to talk through Bluetooth; if we can do that we should be able to push through the rest of the effort.