Blown head gasket what now?

KCODE

Blew the passenger side head gasket. Car was running so well I wasn't paying attention to my scanmaster. Don't know if knock was present or not. What I do know those were the original head gaskets and were bound to blow as I continue to upgrade and push the car. My question:
What upgrades/replacement would you suggest while I have the heads off? Everything internal is stock at this time. Car has under 50,000 miles. Car will be used mostly street with very minimal track time.

Thank You

Last edited:
Pull the heads, pull the oil pan. Clean. Clean. Clean. Slap new gaskets on. Run it until you are making enough power to need a motor rebuild.

I would just pull the motor, talk to richard clarke as i think he would be the closest reputable shop that i know of and get it built to hp you are looking for. In any case it needs to be worked on by a place that does these engines for sure. Don't make the mistake of taking the cheap route or letting some" local shop "work on your engine, you will only end up doing it again at twice the cost and hundred times the aggravation. Of course this is just my own personal opinion, good luck, hope all goes well.

While the heads are off backcut the 'skijump' off of the exhaust valves and do a bowl porting on the intake and exhaust bowls. Lightly shave the heads to make sure they're flat with a machine NOT a belt sander and put them back on.

Oh yeah, get some valve springs that work if you still have the originals on there.

If I was doing both sides I would take all advice above. Save your back and take the extra 1-2hrs to pull the engine leaning over the car to do head gaskets sucks miserably. Then get some head work done before you re assemble. Good luck man, I hate doing head gaskets.

I agree with earl make sure to have the surfaces machined flat!! Don't cheap out on that even if you think the surface is flat and true....Use the Cometic H.G.with copper spray....

I wouldn't recommend the Cometics on an undecked block. The extra bump in compression using some customs .027"'s would be nice (along with having to possible machine the intake) but it's not worth the risk and expense. That deck's been stressed at the head bolt holes for 30 years and it's not that smooth from the factory.

I see not to face the hands with a belt sander but......
Could you get away with using a long body sanding block and some fine sand paper?

Just thinking out loud

Could you get away with using a long body sanding block and some fine sand paper?

Just thinking out loud
You could take this approach if you want a terrible result. I'd rec trying this on a set of junk heads then indicating them to see how bad they really are. Likely worse than when you started

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just thinking out loud
You could take this approach if you want a terrible result. I'd rec trying this on a set of junk heads then indicating them to see how bad they really are. Likely worse than when you started

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently did my head gaskets.. since heads were off, I had valves and springs redone, and scoped to ensure there weren't any cracks. Good luck.

I always get at least .001 cut just to have fresh flat surfaces.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Cosmetics arp fasteners some gasket spray slam it back together and beat the hell out of it. Chances are after this its pushing the crank out of it anyway. And yes take the heads to have them cut hell its less than 100.00.