Blown H/G Club

rich wright

Hi Guys,old addage KISS,hate sounding stupid had my 87GN for
2years always ran great,looks great.Luvs ricers gets very cited.
I was drivin normal 35mph kicked it against aradical ricer,it spooled up to 22#,ran like a raped ape blew him away2-3 cars.
Had to let off quick comin up to some heavy traffic going about a
1/8 mile maybe 70mph.The engine or waste gate popped & rattled.Smoke rolled out back temp.hit 220-240 wiped my tears.
At idle is was smokin out both breathers,had it towed to I heard it was a good shop.Got a call from my sis in Md. my dad had a stroke,flew home ,he passed never saw FL.or GN or my house.
That was 3 weeks ago.Mech. called me and had him install Radiator,new 160therm.rmi24,he tried to but could not put in the ramcharger fan,said too much of mod.needed mounts wrong.
installed new felpro gaskets,head bolts,had heads checked ok.
He then told me he put his foot into it and it boosted to 24#
It popped and rattled blew same H/G on #4.He asked me if I changed anything since I had it,the only thing I installed was a
throttle body from Kirban,it has K/N filter.Ultrachip&shiftkit.
After fone call I knew I was in trouble,since I was in Maryland.
I am in need of serious help,I asked him to check hoses on Turbo
& waste gate.He said it could be injectors:confused: What the
Any sugestions Rich-stranded in Maryland:( :mad:

Sorry to hear about your father. As a quick fix, fix the car and pull the wastegate rod off the wastegate until you figure out what's wrong. I always ease into the gas slowly after doing any new mods. Your mechanic should've known better than to just stomp it.

Were you running 22psi on pump gas, no alky or anything? BTW, I own the blown headgasket club. 6 gaskets in less than a year not that I'm proud or anything.

FYI
Anyone who has changed head gaskets from originals and used ARP bolts to rebuild should check the longest bolts of the set for proper length. The new set of ARP bolts I got when I replaced the original head gaskets had included bolts (the 4 longest) which were too long and would not tighten the head to the gasket and block. The bolts were 4.5" and should have been 4.180" (per ARP). As a result the repair job only lasted a few days.

Well guys thanx for the input,amazing to read & fully appreciate the problems and funny stories.I will pass along to my mechanic
Ive been busy as a french HO on dollar day.
Rich:confused: :mad:

Rich,

Sorry about your loss.

As someone else mentioned - what is your combo? do you have a scan-tool? Was this on racegas or alchy or pumpgas?

24 PSI is WAY too high for pumpgas!

Just talked again to mechanic{whose @loss}.when he blew 2nd gasket,# 4 on pass.side he stated he did not stomp it.But @35 as he was driving it boosted to 22# then it popped or knocked he slowed down saw smoke,popped hood smoke pumping out breather.When he pulled head it clearly burnt the gasket there & nowhere else.He said he will check with scan tool didnt put back together till he can talk to someone he installed gasket felpro the correct one,proper studs,reschecked all hose all wastegate & btween selenoid.this happened on hightest pumpgas Shell.Can there B anything with throttle body Dist.plate
I am loosing fate in my mechanic since I am in Maryland and not in Florida where my car is.
All you guys with blown H/G what did U fix to correct problem.

I'm at wits end--- Uall know how it is wen the Big B is on ur back

Pleeze anybody willin to take fone call from my Mech.

So your running pump gas and 22 psi boost??? With no scan tool?? Just FYI but most people can't run more than 17 psi on pump gas w/o some knock. 1. Order scan tool/knock gauge. 2. Fix HG again. 3. Turn the boost down to 15 and start tuning for ZERO knock.

HTH

Welcome Aboard!

I'm a member as well, a similar situation I suppose. I'm sorry to hear about your Father, that's got to be tough. I'm 450 miles away from home and blew both head gaskets at the same time, number 3 and 4. Currently I'm rebuilding my motor at night and going to school in the day. Just a piece of advice that Razor gave me, (he posts alot on the alky board). He told me my main concern should be to get home! Keep the repair simple, don't hot rod, screw your wastegate rod all the out so you're running like 3 lbs of boost and just regroup. In a panic, "Oh my gosh" situation somethings just don't go right. Even if you have to rent a U-Haul car hauler to take her back home, it will be worth it. Just to get out of the situation. Take your time. Take a deep breath, buy a scantool, drop back 10 and punt. - BB

If your mechanic needs some advice, he can call me.

727-526-9724

And no you cannot race your car without proper data. It really has no business over 13 PSI without a scantool monitoring knock.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

BB... yes drop 10 and punt :) sometimes is the best scenario.