Blowing out Oil filter O ring after changing timing chain

Alaskabuick

Just installed a double roller and all buttoned back up. Start the motor all seems well and Psssst! I hear a high pressure sound of seal being pushed out. Try another filter Napa 1036 and same thing. I did not change a thing in the pump. Running Valvoline VR1 20/50 racing oil.

Dennis

Just installed a double roller and all buttoned back up. Start the motor all seems well and Psssst! I hear a high pressure sound of seal being pushed out. Try another filter Napa 1036 and same thing. I did not change a thing in the pump. Running Valvoline VR1 20/50 racing oil.

Dennis

sounds like the pressure relief is bound

Are you sure the old oil filter O ring is not still on the engine ?

Bryan

Im sure, had the cover completely off motor and now back together. But good point, have seen it happen many times even to the most seasoned guys.

Im sure, had the cover completely off motor and now back together. But good point, have seen it happen many times even to the most seasoned guys.
Happened to me at Richard Clark's. .
Oiled down a bay ....
I considered it an engine flush ..:)

Bryan

Did you remove the tensioner when you installed the double roller ? If not it needs to come out.

Bryan

Pull the relief section apart with the spring and plunger .. ive seen them bind and the exact same thing happens

Wouldn't that only happen if he had taken it out and reinstalled it causing it to bind ? He didn't mention that he had removed it and reinstalled.

Wouldn't that only happen if he had taken it out and reinstalled it causing it to bind ?

he had the cover off .. I wasn't there so I have no idea of how it went back together or what could have gone through the relief.. I have seen the relief bind and cause the same exact problem so pointed him in that direction... its a simple easy check

he had the cover off .. I wasn't there so I have no idea of how it went back together or what could have gone through the relief.. I have seen the relief bind and cause the same exact problem so pointed him in that direction... its a simple easy check
The Timing cover only came off and then back on , with the exception of cleaning it up in parts washer.

Do I pull the big nut head off and spring behind it? After that what do I look f0r? Sorry, not that familiar with this.

The Timing cover only came off and then back on , with the exception of cleaning it up in parts washer.

Do I pull the big nut head off and spring behind it? After that what do I look f0r? Sorry, not that familiar with this.

Exactly .. when you pull off the nut there will be a spring and a plunger... if it all doesnt come out its bound up by something .. it doesn't take a lot of dirt debris to get caught and bind it up

Exactly .. when you pull off the nut there will be a spring and a plunger... if it all doesnt come out its bound up by something .. it doesn't take a lot of dirt debris to get caught and bind it up

Pulled nut, spring comes out but no plunger

I would bet my extensive cleaning in solvent tank with citrus base cleaner probably cleaned it to well and got things sticky. Sat for quite awhile before reassembly.

Update,

Well I pulled spring and rooted around up their with a screw driver and could not get anything out. Sprayed some penetrating oil up in the hole to loosen things up. Put nut cap on with no spring and started, all seemed well and let run for awhile. Installed spring and started again, all seems well for now.
Only problem is now Im paranoid as hell about this, would hate to dump all my oil out on the ground in about 30 seconds if it blows if out again. Funny, never ever worried about this car, it is my old stand by and has always ran good and without issue other than the norm that we see.

Den

A screw driver likely won't get hold of the plunger. I use a small, hook style pick.