Blow Out Clip / Tab Install

LXXXVII

How difficult is replacing the drivers side window blow out clip / tab on a 1987 GN T-top?
What's the process and what tools are needed?

Not sure if the t top and hard top are the same but I drilled mine out just enough to take the clip off and used the shortest blind rivets possible to reinstall. So far no issues and it feels as durable as the factory.

How difficult is replacing the drivers side window blow out clip / tab on a 1987 GN T-top?
What's the process and what tools are needed?

If you just need to replace the rubber piece you can get one off a number of different cars from a junk yard. Currently mine has one off of a fiero. Used some epoxy to keep it on the tab. Been there for years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

To do it right, it's a PIA.

You'll have to rip out the weather stripping. Then fight with the glue filled screws that hold the trim strip on. Once that's removed you have access to the rivets that hold the blow out clip in place. Extract those and rivet in the replacement clips.

Then get a bunch of goo-off (and beers), a dremal tool, and a small wire wheel (and some trim paint) and start removing all the glue residue.

Then reinstall the trim and weather stripping channel.

After putting in the very expensive brand new weatherstipping you'll notice that it's much firmer than stock. Then spend about 500 hours adjusting the window and maybe rehanging the door. After the second 500 hours give up on the new weather stripping and learn to live with the noise and/or having to slam the hell out of the door.

To do it right, it's a PIA.

You'll have to rip out the weather stripping. Then fight with the glue filled screws that hold the trim strip on. Once that's removed you have access to the rivets that hold the blow out clip in place. Extract those and rivet in the replacement clips.

Then get a bunch of goo-off (and beers), a dremal tool, and a small wire wheel (and some trim paint) and start removing all the glue residue.

Then reinstall the trim and weather stripping channel.

After putting in the very expensive brand new weatherstipping you'll notice that it's much firmer than stock. Then spend about 500 hours adjusting the window and maybe rehanging the door. After the second 500 hours give up on the new weather stripping and learn to live with the noise and/or having to slam the hell out of the door.
Soooooo true. I saw it coming and this is why I have not yet replaced my driver side blowout clip. I just want to find something to slip over the metal tab now and call it a day. I've already done the second half of your how-to once before when I replaced the weather strip and I'm not doing it again just for the blowout clip. Nope.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

When I got my car the plastic was missing on both clips. Anytime I went over 95 on the interstate (daily) the windows would pop to the outside and basically turn my car into a freezer during the winter. I'd heard you could could just pop off the plastic at the junkyard and snap it back in place but that never worked for me.

When I painted my car that was the only piece of trim I didn't remove (because I couldn't figure out how to unsnap it without bending it. lol).

I'm AMAZED at the stack order it takes to get down to the clip fasteners. Definatly a buttload of effort for something so small.