blow-off valve?

well, I would argue that John C is more than a supposed expert. :) and John Myers had an ecellent reputation as well.

As far as testosterone that bites...:D, you could sell some of that, I suspect! :)

I said it before and I'll say it again - my 2 main reasons for running a BOV is because

(1) It reduces compressor stall when lifting off the throttle during acceleration. (allowing you to keep the turbo spooled)

(2) When I'm warming my slicks at the track its less abusive when I close the throttle.

Is it one of the first things you should buy? NO

But if you have a bigger turbo and race alot you might just like it if you try it. :eek:

Well, :), I did but I didn't. :D I have seen no proof yet that turbo life is shortened and I tend to trust some of the guys that are experienced with such things..but, if it makes you more comfortable, go for it. There are more interesting things to argue about! :)

Note that I am only arguing about wear and tear. I never noticed anything in regard to on-off throttle response, but I never looked at that aspect, either. :)

Compressor surge is what occurs when letting off of the throttle when under boost and the psi build up between the TB plate and the compressor.
Surge limit is what the map refers to.
Funny this comes up, just pick up this months Turbo magazine and they have a write up on all the popular BOV's and the purpose of them right in the article...compressor surge. check it out.

Another source that I recommend for any turbo lover is the book "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell. Barnes and Noble has them.

Mr. Bell also refers to the by pass valve for compressor surge also.

In a nut shell......... Compressor bypass valves can play a vital role in any successful turbo system because they not only improve performance of your vehicle but they increase the longevity of the turbocharger as well. The function of a compressor bypass valve is to relieve compressor surge (pressurized air normally forced backwards through the turbo upon deceleration) without reducing compressor speed. Repeated stress from compressor surge can damage the turbocharger and cause turbo failure.

BOV's on a TR rank up there with roller cams, ball bearing turbos and cold air kits. Yeah, there might be some sort of improvement, but I have failed to see the benefit of the BOV for my own car. My combo works and I dont really need another variable in the picture.
My stock turbo had 125k+ miles on it when removed and the car never had a BOV. It was never rebuilt and was still very tight. It wound up on our Monte SS. I have run high boost and never had a problem. I just think its a matter of preference. I currently have a TE45a and have run as much as 27lbs of boost with no BOV. Am I stupid because I dont run a BOV? Am I uneducated because I dont run one? I think not. I havent really seen any benefit to it.
With the convertor I currently have, my spool up is instantaneous even when getting back into the throttle on the highway or any other point.
If it makes you guys feel better knowing you have one, then go for it. Its like the chocolate vs. vanilla debate :)

Yep, I own Corky's book plus MacInnes' as well. :)

It's pretty hard to use either one to build a case for the use of a blow off valve in our applications. I don't see a reference to a bov by Corky, but it may be there, and MacInnes mentions the use of one on the intake to control boost rather than using an exhaust wastegate.

I don't put too much stock in Turbo magazine as it is aimed at a different segment of the market with different set ups, volumewise, than ours. (and I admit to being cynical to magazine tech as it is usually just an infomercial for its advertisers :D)

With regard to surge, I cut this off a web site.

"The compressor blades are analogous to a wing. As they move through the air, they direct the movement of the air according to their aerodynamic design. If an airfoil is operated at an angle of attack beyond its design limit, the flow on the low pressure side of the foil separates instead of following its contour. This condition is known as "stall". The surge line indicates where the pressure differential, air velocity, and compressor rpm conditions combine to define the aerodynamic limits of a particular compressor. If operated at or beyond this line, the compressor stalls and surges in and out of stall until external changes are imposed to keep the compressor away from this zone."

Technically, that makes you right. :) When the tb blade is closed, the pressure differential across the compressor wheel drops and the wheel begins to stall. Even though the wheel is decelerates rather than trying to accelerate, velocity does take it left of the surge line or stall line. On the other hand, it is the reverse phenomena of what occurs when trying to spool a large turbo at light throttle.

Now, the damage resulting from compressor slam/stall is still the subject of discussion. As stated above, 360 deg thrust bearings and the large intake tract of our cars cushions the surge, particularly in the deceleration mode, and it is not a problem. If there is a problem, it would seem to be in the acceleration mode when the blade is open slightly and the compressor wheel is trying to jump out of the housing. A conventional blow off valve can do nothing in this case which is far more violent-at least on the cars I have experience with.

The argument for bov's sounds really good. It's downfall is that those guys that build modern day turbos for our particular set ups don't find the predicted damage when they open the turbos. Perhaps they put ethics behind "good business" practices, but, I really don't think that is a general rule. :)

Turbo magazine actually is building up a GN, this past issue is a turbo swap, and they frequent build up of turbo regals other than their own . It may not be on the front cover but they have many frequent 3-4 plus page articles many times a year.

Awesome to have the big mags still recognizing our rides.

That is great. I have not bought one in years.

Did you notice who the new editor of PHR is? I hope it continues the same trend as it did under Cameron Evans.

As far as bov's go. :D

The Baptists believe in dipping while the Methodists believe that sprinkling is enough. I don't see any need for a bov but, with a few exceptions (no drowning), I don't see the harm if it makes you feel better. :)

They can only help the turbocharger's life...No downsides if setup properly. There is plenty of information in this thread to help a guy make an informed/reasonable decision. Let it go.....

LOL what for? Everything, well just about everything has been brought to the table already.....

Originally posted by STP
They can only help the turbocharger's life...No downsides if setup properly. There is plenty of information in this thread to help a guy make an informed/reasonable decision. Let it go.....

It was let go. :)

There is no evidence that they prolong the life of a turbo, and no one contended they they would hurt it either. You believe it will help, but, that does not necessarily make it so. There is a difference between belief and fact at times.

I still have the GN that I bought over 17 years ago and have owned up to four of them at various times. I am down to three at the moment. I may have one year of experience 17 times over, but, so far, I have never had a turbo go bad with one exception. That was at 168,000 miles on the original turbo on a Limited. My original GN has been upgraded a couple of times and has about 40k on the 45 that is on it now. My T has 60k on the 44 that is on it. My elky has 75k on the original drive train including turbo. Most people will be buying bigger, if not better, before those mileages are reached.

As TN and I agreed, to each his own, just don't try to present opinion as fact and scare people into buying something under the threat of iminent failure if they don't. Too many of us around here that have been playing with them since they came out that know better. :)

Originally posted by Steve Wood
It was let go. :)

There is no evidence that they prolong the life of a turbo, and no one contended they they would hurt it either. You believe it will help, but, that does not necessarily make it so. There is a difference between belief and fact at times.

I still have the GN that I bought over 17 years ago and have owned up to four of them at various times. I am down to three at the moment. I may have one year of experience 17 times over, but, so far, I have never had a turbo go bad with one exception. That was at 168,000 miles on the original turbo on a Limited. My original GN has been upgraded a couple of times and has about 40k on the 45 that is on it now. My T has 60k on the 44 that is on it. My elky has 75k on the original drive train including turbo. Most people will be buying bigger, if not better, before those mileages are reached.

As TN and I agreed, to each his own, just don't try to present opinion as fact and scare people into buying something under the threat of iminent failure if they don't. Too many of us around here that have been playing with them since they came out that know better. :)

You said that in about 4 posts this topic. Someone Lock this Topic. PLEASE! :D