Block question

BoostedBlack87

Hey guys just wondering when boring our blocks are deck plates needed? Just don't want the cylinders to warp when torqueing the heads down and all the machine work I paid for go out the window.

Ok is there anyone that happens to rent any by chance? The machine shop that is doing the work doesn't have a set. He said he could make them but to do it for one build he said just will add more to the bill.

Find a machine shop that knows Buicks. The line hone and bore and clearances need to be to Buick specs. If this shop doesnt have the plates they may f up the rest. Now sthe time to think about it and regroup.

I understand what your getting at and not trying to argue but there is not any Buick shops near me. I don't doubt the shop that is doing the work. He has the plates for v8 Buicks it just v6 are not common around here at all.

Ok is there anyone that happens to rent any by chance? The machine shop that is doing the work doesn't have a set. He said he could make them but to do it for one build he said just will add more to the bill.

'add more'.... good one.

as someone that knows a little bit about Buicks and a little bit about machining, and a little bit about automotive machining, and a little bit about what it takes to make a torque plate ( yes, I'm made a couple).....

add 'more' is a little bit overly simplistic. :)

Also, based on my personal first hand expertise with a bore gauge in my hand a torque plate is worth about 1 and a half thou of distortion in the bores.

'add more'.... good one.

as someone that knows a little bit about Buicks and a little bit about machining, and a little bit about automotive machining, and a little bit about what it takes to make a torque plate ( yes, I'm made a couple).....

add 'more' is a little bit overly simplistic. :)

Also, based on my personal first hand expertise with a bore gauge in my hand a torque plate is worth about 1 and a half thou of distortion in the bores.

Not sure how to take this.

Boostedblack87, not to question your engine builder but I had a reputable Buick engine builder machine and assemble a motor for me. He has built stage 2 engines since the mid eighties. I had to take my engine back to him with a very obvious mistake. He didn't notice that my engine was an off center. He didn't install my rods correctly. He had never even heard of an off center block. Not saying that your guy would make the same mistake or build your motor with tolerances like a small block Chevy but make sure that you give him a few guidelines and references.

Boostedblack87, not to question your engine builder but I had a reputable Buick engine builder machine and assemble a motor for me. He has built stage 2 engines since the mid eighties. I had to take my engine back to him with a very obvious mistake. He didn't notice that my engine was an off center. He didn't install my rods correctly. He had never even heard of an off center block. Not saying that your guy would make the same mistake or build your motor with tolerances like a small block Chevy but make sure that you give him a few guidelines and references.

Thank you great advice I will be seeing him again tomorrow as I forgot a few parts he will need. So I will make mention of a few things to him. He was the one that brought the plate up to me and I was unsure of the answer.

Based on my personal first hand expertise with a bore gauge in my hand a torque plate is worth about 1 and a half thou of distortion in the bores.

This sounds excessive was this on a Buick V6 motor or something else?

Neal

I also measured distortion for curiosity. I used an actual aluminum head @ 70 ft lbs since I didnt have torque plates. This is a 291 block

I torqued both heads. Here is a picture showing Torqued vs Loose cylinder measurements. Longitudinal, vs Lateral, center bore. I also did high in the bore, low in the bore, but this paper is less "busy" and easier to read. The numbers are in ten thousandths, so +.2 would be 4.0002" and -.2 would mean 3.9998"
145990b3168aa165ad9a18317b5c3e9e.jpg

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

I hope you take this info and use some sort of torque plate and insist you machinist use one . The guys who have responded to your question are some of the top turbo buick guys in the country so they know there buick motors. I’ve seen to many guys ask similar questions and ignore the answers given needless to say there engines didn’t last to long .

Make sure the guy torquing the plate knows what your head torque will be. My aluminum heads only take 65 ft lbs as opposed to the 85 ft lbs most use for iron heads.

Make sure the guy torquing the plate knows what your head torque will be. My aluminum heads only take 65 ft lbs as opposed to the 85 ft lbs most use for iron heads.

The correct way to torque plate hone is to use the same fasteners as the final build. That includes whatever jizz is to lube the heads and washers.

I appreciate everyone's input I will definitely be having him use a torque plate just figuring out details on him making one or buying one. I see the link of the place that makes them which is about an hour away from me. I will contact them on Monday.