blackened overdrive clutches

300kGN

The overdrive carrier hub split and while upgrading to billet parts I saw that the Alto 4th gear clutches are black and the steels have some hot spots.

The trans only has about 40 passes, maybe 20 of which reached 4th gear. It had already been upgraded with 1 additional 4th clutch, what else can I do? Can I clean up the steels and reuse them with new clutches? Should I just plan on installing a zipper for replacing the 4th gear clutches?

BTW the parts are the same in both pics, used camera flash on the top one.

I do lock from 2nd on. It is not (not tagged) driven on the street. I just don't think this old engine should be inflicting this kind of mayhem.:D
I'm back to hating the 200.

Attachments

• 4th clutches.jpg
    4th clutches.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 171
  • clutches no flash.jpg
    clutches no flash.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 153
The best advise I can offer, is to stay away from OD @ the track. I never used ( abused ) the OD clutches when I ran a 200. Brian

andy upon reinstalling the transmission overfill it 1 quart and tighten up tv cable. verify that you are not loosing pressure due to the filter being uncovered under hard acceleration.the fourth circuit is just about trouble free especially with the extra friction installed.if you need the frictions give me a ring

Id put a gauge on it to be sure it has the correct line pressure. It needs to be observed on the ration change. You should invest in a bottom feed filter set up also. With the feed at .110 and the accum spring replaced in the vb and the accumulator itself you should not have a problem with 4th clucthes. Verify the integrity of the lip seals on the 4th piston apply.

This is my opinion but Red clutch material does not hold fluid like a stock borg warner clutch does, it is a material that can take heat, but it has to cause it wont naturally cool I would use 3 stock paper clutches that absorb fluid more readily.

This is my opinion but Red clutch material does not hold fluid like a stock borg warner clutch does, it is a material that can take heat, but it has to cause it wont naturally cool I would use 3 stock paper clutches that absorb fluid more readily.
Most of the heat from apply is transferred through the steel plates. Along with the oil bath it should provide adequate cooling. Ive run red and borgs in 4th with no problems with either in very high torque application. The vb accumulator spring, accumulator piston to bore and shaft clearance, plate hole size, and line pressure will all have a big effect on the clutch apply which will determine the maximum torque that can be transferred on a ratio change into 4th.

My OD clutches looked about the same the last time I had mine apart, they were tan frictions. But I contributed it to OD not releasing soon enough cause I was getting a bind up on manual downshifts OD to D. I always had what I thought was too hard of a shift into OD too.
I thought maybe they were dragging enough to blacken them, but in your cause that doesn't sound like it.
I'm not pushing a whole lot of power either 325 RWHP but 4100 lbs.

clutches, steels and bottom feed are on the way. Planning on looking into pressures after the holidays.