Black or White accent stripes on bumper impact strip???

mrfixit49

I have an 85 GN with front and rear impact strips that have white accent stripes as shown below.

From everything I can see, the all the GN's have black stripes. But GBodyParts is selling these impact strips with white accent stripes.

Whats correct? Has anyone tried to remove the white stripe with success? What did you use to remove the white?

Would it be easier buying them with black stripes somewhere else rather then the effort in removing the white to make it more original?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0867.jpg
    IMG_0867.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 348
They don't come with black they all come with white from GM.
I think any paint thinner should remove it or you can just paint the stripe black

Ive only seen the white strips on T-types ?

My GN and my dads GN both have black on black

All GN's definitely had BLACK rub strips WITHOUT any white stripe on them. It's quite easy to remove the white stripe though, (I myself did it a few times...) by using some automotive paint thinner, a rag, some elbow grease and a little patience...It's better to remove the stripe than covering it with black paint because over time, the black paint will eventually flake off, showing the white again.
Hope this helps,

Claude. :)

I can also attest to the fact that GN's came with all black rub strips. At least that's true of my 86 and 87, which are both still running their original bumpers.

Thanks for the answers...

Ok, thats what I thought. These must have been replaced at some time in their life with white ones but the owner didn't care to have the car true to original.

It does give an interesting look, but I will be removing them.

I'll try the paint thinner method.

Thanks for all your answers!!!

My 87 GN has the white stripe on the front. I have the car in the body shop completely taken apart. There are no signs the car has ever been wrecked but I could not bet my life on it. I took the bump strips off both bumpers along with the bumperettes to re-paint. I have all the trim off the car (bezels, grill, tailights, etc...) and will paint with DuPont A-5099S trim paint. This will get rid of the white line for me.

Gn's shuld have all black. We take a pressure washer & will remove them for you if you ask. Gm only sells them with white stripes. Do this when they are new & it comes right off no problem.

I used a Scotchbrite pad with water to remove the white accent on my bumper strip.

My pad was older and the white was getting chalky. That was the main reason for removing the white.

YMMV
HTH