Billet Tensioner

Has anyone gotten brave and taken their tensioner apart? I'd like to powdercoat mine.
No but I'm getting noise from the tensioner. Sounds like ticking. Arms seems to be loose until the pulleys warm up and expand a tad bit. Almost goes completely away once the car is fully warm. I think if I get a belt that is a few mm shorter, it would be perfect.

That ticking could also be the cam sensor, as I was also having a ticking noise until the engine warm up.
After doing the timing chain replacement I decided to replace the cam sensor and ticking noise went away; just a though!

Disassembly of the tensioner will void the warranty.
Besides the powdercoating will chip and flake where the spring contacts the base.

That ticking could also be the cam sensor, as I was also having a ticking noise until the engine warm up.
After doing the timing chain replacement I decided to replace the cam sensor and ticking noise went away; just a though!
Good to know. I have the replacement washer thing for the inside, but I doubt that it will do good. I might have to send in the cam sensor to GNS then.

Installing mine tonight on the Turbo TA. Anyone install on a TTA? Do I use the original tensioner bolts?

Joe

Here is my update I have about 2500 miles on mine. I took the car to visit family last week 900 miles one way. No problems to report, I wasnt even mindful of the tensioner, until there were a few posts on this thread, its a nice feeling to set and forget. Although I have a bothersome oil leak from the turbo oil drain:mad:, thats a PIA fix.....
Upon install I swapped the pulley also, I used a plastic stock replacement one so it doesn't "stick out" since I have the stock look for under hood.

Well I'm putting my engine back in and I'm going to install my tensioner.

What length belt?

Well I'm putting my engine back in and I'm going to install my tensioner.

What length belt?

What's currently on it and the back up. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 118
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 115
Steve,
I see this on EBay by Precision Machining. Is this the manufacturer tha made the units you sold here? Is this Thump RRR racing?
Conrad

Steve,
I see this on EBay by Precision Machining. Is this the manufacturer tha made the units you sold here? Is this Thump RRR racing?
Conrad
Same guy, Thumperrr racing is actually a very small segment of what he does. Precision machining is his 3 man outfit and they do all sorts of parts manufacturing he was showing parts he makes for large electrical motors, industrial machine parts, brackets etc.

Steve,
Conrad
Fyi. I missed the original buy so i bought one off ebay. I tried to install the stock pulley off of two different stock tensioners. Both of them the stock metal pulley rubs on the body of the tensioner. I think i will have to grind the body for clearance.
I put the tensioner on the bench side by side with two factory and the elevation for mounting the pulley appears to be the same so should be alignment with the belt.
This may have been pointed out already i havn't read the whole thread.

I had the RJC pulley machines ever so slightly for mine to clear. I ended up not using the tensioner due to not being able to get the 140a alternator to fit. I was rushing, so maybe it will fit when I try again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I swapped one on of the plastic replacement pulleys and it didn't rub. Still running it with the plastic pulley too.

Good to know. I considered just removing material from the pulley. But i think i will remove it from the body instead. That way in the future if i have to install a new pulley (in the parking lot of an auto parts store) it will just fit.