Billet roller cam recommendation

kcalvin

My motor is currently under construction and I am looking for a streetable billet roller cam with good midrange and top end pull that will take me into high to mid 10s. I would appreciate any recommendations on a cam that would best suit my application.

109 based block with JE's and billet caps
Ported intake with 70mm TB
T/A aluminum Heads (should be ready soon)
pte 67 p trim
50lb injectors(will have to upgrade to 65 or 72s)
pte front mount
9x11 3200-3300

Re: cam

Originally posted by Lee Thompson
Comp Cam 218-224 with .500 intake and .521 exhaust lift.

WOW! Ya think? I did it with a 212/206, not even .500 lift either valve. Don't have to go that big, you can if you want.

Im looking to go nines and Dan at DLS told me that I would only need a 215-215 wich he told me is 560 lift with 1.65 rockers that cam seems to big in my opinion. By the way my buddie Rob Crisafulli will have my Webber Racing 212-206 roller on here for sale in the next couple days.

I run the 214 roller. In my opinion its runs just great. There cam does not act up in any was shape or form with lots of vaccum. I would like to hear more about this 215/215 cam with 560 lift.
I believe all the off shelf comp PTE comp 210 and 214 have the same lift.

Originally posted by Nojug
Im looking to go nines and Dan at DLS told me that I would only need a 215-215 wich he told me is 560 lift with 1.65 rockers that cam seems to big in my opinion. By the way my buddie Rob Crisafulli will have my Webber Racing 212-206 roller on here for sale in the next couple days.

I am looking to go 9s as well and dan sent me a 224/224.

so do i , and 224 is a good cam, but not the correct one! Its too small!

:cool:

All I really know is, if you tell Dan Strezo of DLS Engine Development what your realistic goal is, he will always hit the mark with his cam choice for you.

I would definetly trust one of the best HP engine builders in the country.

My .02 cts.

Originally posted by Cheeseburger
I am not complaining!
Just my input and an answer to a question!

:( Sorry Cheeseburger didn't intend to use your quote for my response. OOPS! I have edited my post.:)

Originally posted by Louie L.
I run the 214 roller. In my opinion its runs just great. There cam does not act up in any was shape or form with lots of vaccum. I would like to hear more about this 215/215 cam with 560 lift.
I believe all the off shelf comp PTE comp 210 and 214 have the same lift.
Louie,
What is the 214/214 lift with the 1.65s?

The centerline on a 224 cam is wrong the 110 lobe center is a very poor choice, in my opinion.

Louie I dont know too much about it as I have not recieved it yet but by motor is going to be the basic TSM combo. 70 GTQ, ported GN1's, FAST, 84# inj, etc. I think a 224 would be too big for a stock cubed motor.(BTW mine will not be stroked).

Originally posted by norbs
The centerline on a 224 cam is wrong the 110 lobe center is a very poor choice, in my opinion.

HMMMM,

If you look in your combination you are using a 224 hyd,you are saying its a very poor choice and you have it in your motor??:confused:

yup it soon will be for sale. I have talked with many people on turbo engines and the 110 cl is a big no no

Originally posted by norbs
yup it soon will be for sale. I have talked with many people on turbo engines and the 110 cl is a big no no

Why is it a big no no?
And if thats the case i hope you are not going to pass it on to a buick brother, are you?

Hummm.
Im not doubting that Dan has reccomended the 224 cam, but i dont know for a 231 ci motor. Lots use a flat tapet 224 which acts smaller than a roller.From my experience he appears to always be conservative in his cam recomendations. I have a 224 hydraulic on the shelf. Ive been advised against it. But i would love to try out a 218/218 (solid?) with some thing in the 550-560 range. The problem comes in in picking what lobe profile to use.

Now as usual , my disclaimer, im no engine builder or cam expert. This is based on what i have learned over the years and discussed with folks in the "know".