Billet Crankshafts

blackisfast

I know crower makes cranks for our 3.8s, but who else sells/makes a good made is the USA billet crank? I am still waiting for the boys at crower to get back to me with a price. I have a great set of oilver billet narrow journal stock length (5.967) rods and am ordering a set of JE .20 over pistons for them. I am trying to build a rock and roll I can't break it bottom end (I just hope the block can take it and yes it will get caps, studs and a girdle:) ) I know there is a lot of chinese stuff out there, I just don't like it and I try to keep as much of my money in the states. I do see that TA performance sells one but I fed my mopar 440 a billet crank for 1/3 the cost and it started out a much larger chunk of 4340 steel. Just seems a bit much to me. Thanks all!!!!

TA performance does carry those. I believe they were around $2700 if i'm not mistaken. If your spending that much on a crank, I hope your putting it in a stage 2 block. And if your spending that much on a stage 2 block, I hope its "on center", so I've been schooled.

The stock block will brake way before the Chinese forged cranks will. If you going to spend big money on a billet crank, might as well go S2 or an aluminum block imo.

TA billet cranks are made by Crower. I don't think you'll get much savings by dealing with them directly.

Neal

I know one person who got a crank from Bryant - a good bit more $$$ than Crower and 6 or 9 months delivery, but he wanted the best.

Just about any of the companies that machine billet cranks will do it if your willing to wait. Why would you put a $3000 crank in a $300 block? You would be better off buying a used stage 2 block like the one that was on here recently and buying a forged crank. The end result will be cheaper and stronger.

TA performance does carry those. I believe they were around $2700 if i'm not mistaken. If your spending that much on a crank, I hope your putting it in a stage 2 block. And if your spending that much on a stage 2 block, I hope its "on center", so I've been schooled.

On center or off center wont matter. Anderson went really fast with an off center

If you have the budget buy the Crower. It will be around long after the china crank is shot. You can always move to a stage engine at a later date.

If you have the budget buy the Crower. It will be around long after the china crank is shot. You can always move to a stage engine at a later date.

After phone calls from customers reminding me has fast they have been and how many passes they have made. I need to correct my statement. There are good cranks out there that are better than the others. The only china cranks I have seen with cracks are 3.400 CAT cranks. I am am a big Crower fan so I am biased but there are some other good alternatives. The BA/DLS crank is built from a clean sheet of paper.

Lonnie-have you ever seen any broken Cat cranks or any stroker cat cranks with cracks/or have broken?

Lonnie-have you ever seen any broken Cat cranks or any stroker cat cranks with cracks/or have broken?
3.400 Cat cranks with cracks? Yes after being removed from mid to low 9 sec 109 block cars. Also seen them come out ok too. 3.625 have never see one cracked. Cat cranks either stroke never seen one broken.

If you're going to bother spending the money for a billet, wouldn't it be wiser to have it made for wide journal rods? That way, if your hot rod adventures take you to even bigger hp numbers the crank can tag along.

As Don said, as long as you're going billet, Why not a wide jourmal?

I'd go with a longer rod too. A longer rod will minimize angularity and stress on the rod.

Dave

As Don said, as long as you're going billet, Why not a wide jourmal?

I'd go with a longer rod too. A longer rod will minimize angularity and stress on the rod.

Dave
+1 but i still wouldnt be throwing those parts in a stock block unless i was forced to by a rule for a class i was running in like TSM.

+1 but i still wouldnt be throwing those parts in a stock block unless i was forced to by a rule for a class i was running in like TSM.

I thought wide journal stuff didn't fit into a production block?
only if the rods are modified right?

I thought wide journal stuff didn't fit into a production block?
only if the rods are modified right?
You may be right but im not sure why it would not fit since the mains are in the same locations in either block.