Billet center caps

JUSTA3.8V6

Hey guys, im doing some work to my car this offseason and im wondering what people think about doing billet center caps. Im just wondering if i buy them what else would i need to buy to install them? Ive never done anything this extensive when it comes to motor work. Do I reuse the stock bearings that are on the car now? What about the cap studs? Maybe those are dumb questions but i want to cover all my bases. Any help is appreciated!

I presume ypur talking about billet main caps? If so ive heard a line bore is in order. Not 100% sure but I dont think its just bolt on type of deal...

Far from an easy thing. Basically you'll rebuild the entire engine. The caps will need the register checked and set. Then they get cut close to finish. After that they get align honed. This is tricky for some shops as the caps are way harder then the block. If this is not done by a reputable shop... your crank centerline will be off and you'll need a different timing chain.
After that the block should be checked for all the other surfaces to be true. Then the crank can be set back in and the motor reassembled. If your changing to main studs over bolts...it must be done before the work is started. You cannot start with bolts and switch to studs.
Just a little info

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

What are your goals? That will dictate if billet caps are worth doing.

What are your goals? That will dictate if billet caps are worth doing.

i would do a forged crank before billet caps and a stock one.
AGREED ! Depending on the torque produced and the age of your crank, you may flex the crank and progressively wipe out your lower main bearings at 2 & 3.

i debated doing center main caps on the 86 and went with stock mains and the forged crank..far as i know they are still there
if i was after low 10s or 9s on stock crank i would do the mains or a girdle

and 9s on forged the wise move would be do main caps, low 9s do a girdle or both

I planned on doing ported heads, the 210/215 roller cam, 3000 stall, my motor has 178,000 on it. I was debating on just swapping a boosted 4.8 LS but i thought keeping the 3.8 would be more realistic in cost. I dont plan on living at the strip, just want a really fast street car, but i guess I'd want it to be high 10's if i went to the strip. As it sits now it put down 371/460 @ the wheels W/42# Injectors. Have 60# ones and matched chip now.