BHJ balancer interrupter ring timing

Six_Silver

I have read on here that a few guys had problems with the timing being off with certain balancers. I recently bought a new BHJ balancer and want to know if anyone has had a timing problem with one. I can alter the timing with the BS3 if needed. I dont quite understand how you can determine how much the timing needs to be changed (if any), even during engine assembly. Is the only way to accurately check this to use a timing light?

I just eyeballed mine. The discrepancy was supposed to be 4 degrees and I figured that I could "see" that. Mine looked dead on comparing interuptor ring notch to keyway positions.

Tom

In all the BHJ balancers we have done over the years with interuptor rings, only one has been out of alignment.

A few months ago we sent a new stock balancer to BHJ to check their assembly jig, everything lines up right on the proper mark.

I set mine on top of a stock balancer...lined up the keyways then
used a straightedge on a flat table to check the timing mark for TDC...looked to be perfect...the interrupter rings also looked OK

Mine was off 4 degs. You will be able to see it comparing the BHJ to your stock damper.I talked to BHJ about this problem and they told me that they are unsure of the correct location to install the ring. buick sets theres one way and they have theres. I had to pay $60.00 to have it reclocked to the factory damper. MAKE sure it is right when you first recieve your BHJ damper to avoid being charged to reclock it to the STOCK specs. Steve H.