Beware Of Fake Ebay Email

85monte

They are at it again. A few months ago I received the same email stating if I didnt fill the info required out that I would not be able to use my ebay account. A few weeks later I received a mail from the ebay and they said this was a scam and the email was not from them. So if you get this type of email from ebay beware. It ask for the following things:Dear eBay user ,
During our regular update and verification of the accounts, we couldn't verify your current information.

Either your information has changed or it is incomplete.
Please click here update and verify your information by signing in your account below.
If the account information is not updated to current information within 5 days then, your access to bid or buy on eBay will be restricted.

Ebay User ID
Password
PayPal Password
Email Address
Credit card/debit card number
Expiration date
Card Type
Bank Name
Card PIN Number
CVV Code
Your name on card
Billing address

Primary telephone
Secondary telephone
City
State/province
Zip/postal code
Country
Enter Your Bank Account Information
Account owner
Country of account
Bank name
Bank routing #
Checking account #
Social Security Number

Mother's Maiden Name
Date Of Birth
Driver License Number
State of Issue

I dont think so!!! I have had money taking before and there has been a rise of id theft lately. I will take my chances of loosing my ebay account. The last email was a scam and I bet this one is also. Thought you guys may want to know.

Brian

:mad:

I just received an email that looked like one of those question from an ebay buyer. Said something about shipping costs and Norton said the email contained a malicious script.:mad: Just isn't safe out there.

I also got one of the emails you talked about yesterday too.

FYI.. I got an interesting email a few minutes ago that the subject line read "Question for ebay seller item #388259627"..

I didnt open it because there were three things wrong with it...

1. Im not selling anything on ebay.
2. Doing a search on ebay for the above item # shows that its invalid.
3. The senders addy looked too much like a spam addy to me.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by myclone
FYI.. I got an interesting email a few minutes ago that the subject line read "Question for ebay seller item #388259627"..

I didnt open it because there were three things wrong with it...

1. Im not selling anything on ebay.
2. Doing a search on ebay for the above item # shows that its invalid.
3. The senders addy looked too much like a spam addy to me.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That's the same one I got.:mad:

This is called "Phishing". When you get these emails and are suspicious of them, it's a good thing, if you have the time to invest, to go to the customer service area on the REAL web site and find either an email address, or a reporting form, and send the message to them.

Typically, the sites hosting this illegal activity are very fly by night. The sooner that EBay, Citibank, Yahoo, or any of the others that have been hit recently (I even got one purportedly from the government threatening my credit under the Patriot Act) get ahold of an actual message, they can tear it apart. By looking at the code behind the email, you can locate the server you're being directed to. Remember that what's visible doesn't necessarily match where you're being directed. They will then put their legal dogs on it as fast as possible, and get the site hosting it to shut it down. Sometimes they know it's there, sometimes they don't. Since there can be multiple addresses in these attacks, it's good to send them in so that they get as many examples as possible and disable all the sites.

Rules of thumb:
- sites with whom you do business are very unlikely to ask for any personal information via an email. Your credit card stays on file, or is entered when you're making a purchase.

- when you trust somebody with a credit card, pay attention to the "domain" part of their name, ie. when you're at the site and it says www.amazon.com in your address bar, amazon.com is the domain. If you follow directions in an email and end up at www.amazon-sales.com, or www.amazonb.com, you should instantly be suspicious. If their story is good enough to convince you but you're suspicious, send it in to customer service first and let them confirm it. Oh, and GET to customer service by accessing the web site yourself, not clicking from the email ;-)