Better flowing heads= less meth?????

bigdwg03

Most people would agree that better flowing heads means more power with the same amount of boost or the same amount of power with less boost... My question is how does this effect how much meth a motor will need? Lets say I'm making 400hp with 15lbs of boost (theoretical) I have the heads ported and now I have 400hp with 8lbs of boost does that mean I will also need less meth?

Thanks!!

the meth allows you to run higher timing with unleaded pump gas it helps prevent detonation also a progressive system meaning the more boost the more meth will be injected the more or less alky is a factor on how you tune rich/lean the alky has a controller low boost and max pump speed of alky being injected this is on tuner and how much psi should be injected at certain boost, some guys just run c16 its the conveniency of having a car that can run high boost/timing with unleaded pump gas but im not an expert though im just given you my 2 cents,

good flowing heads or stock flowing heads its the octane of the fuel which determines the amount of timing/boost you can run..

I understand how alky injection works I was asking if better flowing heads would mean I would need less

better flow less alky..your running lower boost.. same hp with less boost because of the better flowing heads less boost = less alky i guess i read your question backwards..b4

Just a guess here , but you are trying to prevent detonation which is caused by a combination of cylider heat & pressure. So if better heads mean less boost but more air into the cylinders thats going to mean more compression and require more fuel & alky. If you still end up with the same amout of air going into the cylinders then it may remain the same. Basically if your injector duty cycle remains the same at the same A/F ratio your moving equal amounts of air into the cylinders and so your alky setting should be OK.
Actually have no idea what Im talking about , just my thoughts on the matter. Mike

You will most likely have to increase the alky. to prevent detonation at a lower boost.

Therefore it's close to the same amount you were running at 15psi. at 8psi. with the new setup.

I doubt there's much if any savings, although aluminum heads might require a bit less alky.

There's lots of factors but I bet you will need to increase the flow at lower psi.'s with the heads to prevent detonation.

You will most likely have to increase the alky. to prevent detonation at a lower boost.

Therefore it's close to the same amount you were running at 15psi. at 8psi. with the new setup.

I doubt there's much if any savings, although aluminum heads might require a bit less alky.

There's lots of factors but I bet you will need to increase the flow at lower psi.'s with the heads to prevent detonation.

I concur.

The power produced is a direct result of the cylinder pressure. The same power (400hp in your example) requires the same pressure in the cylinder, therefore the same amount of air and fuel. So the alky flow requirements will be basically the same.

Note, that the fuel flow requirements will be the same as well, so the tuning will need to comprehend the increased airflow as well.

The only other factor is that the temperature of the air may be less, depending on the turbo size, which might require a little less alky.

But, generally speaking, you example will require approximately the same alky flow after the cylinder head change.

Bob

The amount of alky needed depends on the cylinder pressure. More pressure means more alky if you can get it to vaporize. Unvaporized alky will cause you problems if trying to make a lot of power.

I find the more efficient the motor is, the more power you can make given a certain amount of octane.

Two things happen at higher boost. One is temperature. Every PSI boost = 11 df. So going from 20 to 14 you get a drop of 66 degree's. Now the IC doesnt work as hard. Turbo doesnt heat up the air as much. This reduced temp allows higher power. Example you get a stock Buick motor and try running 20 PSI on pump gas.. doesnt happen with a stock IC as easily as it happens running a front mount. Yes the power does go up, but with less octane requirement.

Another example is take a low 9 second TSM motor and run it on pump gas.. you can get into the 10's at lower boost. Vs a stock motor setup barely making it into the 12's.

So I would say yes to less alcohol to achieve a given HP with a better flowing motor.