Best way to replace rear springs??

RUQWKNF27

I have to replace the springs on my car on account the springs the guy put on there before I bought it have the rear too high especially now I am going to 20" wheels with a lower tire height. I just found the orginal springs in a box so I might jsut try these beofre spending money to see how much they will drop the car!

Easy...

1 - lift up and support the car so the rear axle can hang free
2 - support the rear axle with a jack
3 - unbolt the upper control arms at the diff
4 - lower the rear and the springs will fall out

Simple eh?

I've never had to unbolt any of the control arms... just the shocks so the rear can fall enough to get the old springs out. They usually just come right out with the shocks off.

I've never had to unbolt any of the control arms... just the shocks so the rear can fall enough to get the old springs out. They usually just come right out with the shocks off.

Same here. Unbolting the UCA's is making work. Unbolt the shocks and let 'er drop.;)

D@mn, I guess my memory is failing me.
It's been a while since I did the rear setup. I didn't take notes.

I may be confusing what I did because I replaced all my control arms, shocks and springs at the same time. I want to say I removed the shocks, lowered the axle and it wasn't far enough. I removed the upper control arms for replacement and the rear dropped far enough that the springs literally fell out.

Oh well, point being that you have to unbolt a couple of things to lower the axle far enough to get the springs out.

Sorry for the confusion.

D@mn, I guess my memory is failing me.
It's been a while since I did the rear setup. I didn't take notes.

I may be confusing what I did because I replaced all my control arms, shocks and springs at the same time. I want to say I removed the shocks, lowered the axle and it wasn't far enough. I removed the upper control arms for replacement and the rear dropped far enough that the springs literally fell out.

Oh well, point being that you have to unbolt a couple of things to lower the axle far enough to get the springs out.

Sorry for the confusion.

This is exactly how I replaced mine. I had to unbolt the control arms.

If you have the "cargo coils" which were a very popular way to fit taller tires, then the rear might not drop enough to get them out without a little persuasion. Just be careful and they will come out. The stockers will most likely fall right into place since they're shorter.

Well jsut unvoltingthe shocks may not be that bad but if I have to unbolt the shocks and the UCA's I would think that would be a tinkle to ge to line all that back up! I have 275/60/15 and between the tires and fender moulding there is around 1 3/4" so I may have the cargo springs.

Support the car by the frame on jack stands and remove your tires. Put a jack under the pumpkin and unbolt your shocks. Lower the jack and let the axle drop. It will not be far enough to easily yank the coils, so put your floor jack under a brake drum (Pick a side, any side). Jack it way up, which will cause the opposite site to droop further, letting you easily pull the coil out. Lower the jack and repeat on the other side.
You guys that are unbolting control arms are really gluttens for punishment :D

Also there is a particular orientation that the rear springs have to installed by. I can't remember now what the instructions said. I know you can't just pop them in but have to spin them a certain way. Anyone remember exactly how they go?

On the back it doesn't matter, but on the front, there's a notch where the end of the coil should butt up against :)

I am going to be tackling this today. I think I have cargo springs inthe car now so I hope they come out with both shocks disconnected and as you said before Welby jacking up on one side to get even more drop helps me too if it comes to that.

On the back it doesn't matter, but on the front, there's a notch where the end of the coil should butt up against :)

Agreed on the front, but even though the back springs don't have that notch I do remember that the instructions with the rear springs spelled out how to position them. I was hoping someone had ran across the same thing.

I just picked up a set of stockers out of the boneyard. Heres what I did to make it quick and easy anyway. Jack the car up. Loosen the lower shock mounts and let the axle drop as far as it can. I wedged a driveshaft between the axle and frame and used it as leverage and the springs dropped out. Use a 2X4 at home to accomplish the same thing. If you're using progressive rate springs it is recommended to put the end with the most coils at the top. Personally I dont think it makes a big difference.

OK nice to hear. Did you have to remove your wheels to do this? I don't see why removing the wheels is necessary unless the tire is touching the goround prohibiting your leveradge. But if you get the rear high enough int he air it should not be a problem ... right?? Did you go to the JY to get these springs in order to drop your rear more>? Did it do it for ya? I have cargo springs on the rear I think and I need to get it down @ least another 1" so I figure putting the factory springs back on might do this!!

Support the car by the frame on jack stands and remove your tires. Put a jack under the pumpkin and unbolt your shocks. Lower the jack and let the axle drop. It will not be far enough to easily yank the coils, so put your floor jack under a brake drum (Pick a side, any side). Jack it way up, which will cause the opposite site to droop further, letting you easily pull the coil out. Lower the jack and repeat on the other side.
You guys that are unbolting control arms are really gluttens for punishment :D

Sounds like a good way to rip that rubber brake line....

If unbolting the shocks isn't enough, unbolt the brake line and it should drop lost for you.