BEST UPGRADE START?

tomas.hanba

Hello,
i own 1980 Buick Regal 3.8 Turbo. Performance wise there is everything stock.
Im trying to fix driving stability by lowering and fixing axles, but I thought I should spend some money on engine too. Since there is everything stock - please advice me whats the best begining of slight improving performance? Im not planning to do some heavy mods, just to give the engine some care. I thought maybe start with new carburetor...but which?? Please advice me anything!

Please note that I live in The Czech Republic and its hard to get all the "small" parts over + get them installed right because not really many people can handle these over here. So I rather focus on changing stuff like carb.
Thanks

The stock carb is more than adequate but the only option you have for a non stock replacement is a boost reference Holley. The engine will take any of the normal mods just like the other turbo buicks, but the turbo is a special case.

The stock turbo is fine but if you want more then it can be modified, or you will need to make a modified one from the 301 turbo trans am. Info is in my sig.

I think I would concentrate on a free flowing exhaust first.

So do you mean to do exactly what? (Sorry for asking dumb) I got flowmaster 40 and exhaust seems to me ok. But reason i think about new carb is that the car hesitates when i steer full throtle. It might be fuel pump too or many things...i just thought to start with that.

The stock carb is more than adequate but the only option you have for a non stock replacement is a boost reference Holley. The engine will take any of the normal mods just like the other turbo buicks, but the turbo is a special case.

The stock turbo is fine but if you want more then it can be modified, or you will need to make a modified one from the 301 turbo trans am. Info is in my sig.
As i wrote in reply above: reason i think of new carb is that car hesitates when i steer. Like lack of gas coming in. But local servixe man says its not possible to get better with this.

So do you mean to do exactly what? (Sorry for asking dumb) I got flow master 40 and exhaust seems to me ok....

No problem. I have to admit that I'm not very familiar with the 1980 Buick Regal 3.8 turbocharged engine & design. It is somewhat of a common hot-rod practice to try to free up the exhaust flow by removing as much restriction in the exhaust system as possible. Usually removal of the catalytic converter, a more straight through muffler design, straighter lengths of exhaust tubing to remove as many turns as possible & larger diameter tubing. These modifications allow the engine to "exhale" easier. It usually makes the car louder also. Improving the exhaust flow will reduce pumping loses & reduce turbine back pressure allowing the turbocharger to respond quicker & work easier. After the engine can rid itself of exhaust gasses easier, you can start to improve the intake side to feed more air & fuel. Remember that you want to avoid causing a lean fuel condition. A lean fuel condition may cause excessive combustion temperatures & damage your engine.

You might also want to look into changing the engines coolant thermostat to a 160 degree Farenheit unit.

That's about all that I can offer. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable on the 1980 model will have more information for you.

Good luck.

PS. You might want to check out these links:
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/before-black-non-sfi-tech.11/
http://www.gnttype.org/discus/messages/39/39.html

Last edited:
So do you mean to do exactly what? (Sorry for asking dumb) I got flowmaster 40 and exhaust seems to me ok. But reason i think about new carb is that the car hesitates when i steer full throttle. It might be fuel pump too or many things...i just thought to start with that.
The hesitation is because the carb isn't tuned right. Do a little reading on the carb and timing so you get a better understanding of how it and timing works. Second is get rid of the flowbastard muff. If you're running NA they make great noise bit for a turbo they are very restrictive.

Thanks everyone for answers!
Ok, I have few questions more then. And I ordered few parts i would like you to approve.

1/ Jet thermostat - will that fit? I couldnt find any 160 degree.
http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/jet-10170/overview/

2/I ordered also carb rebuild kit

3/ I tried to find where catalytic converter is but couldnt. Is it in different place than usually? I looked under the car before muffler. I thought its usually there.
Does any please could post picture or scheme where cat is?)

4/ And i also dont fully get what is "boost reference Holley" )

5/ i ordered this fuel filter
http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/knn-pf-2100

6/ also these plugs:
http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/ngk-2771

Thanks)

Thanks for help!

Most carbs are vacuum referenced, which means the power valve is controlled by engine vacuum.In a boost referenced carb the vacuum only controls the power valve before boost kicks in, Once boost kicks in then it goes wide open.

As far as a thermostat goes, it uses the same one that chevy trucks used up until the early 90's. If you look for one around late 70's early 80's you should be able to find one in 160 degrees.