best turbo for stock converter and 25 psi?

henschman

I am in the market for a turbo. I have a stock longblock, and I am currently planning on leaving the stock converter in the car, although I have an orange stripe converter sitting around. i guess I just don't feel like pulling the trans right now! i just want to get this thing running as a nice and quick stock converter, pure street car. I am also planning on running either E-85 or alky in it, so I will be pushing somewhere around 25 psi hopefully.

I know the ta49 generally gets you the best spool on a stock converter, but I don't know how well that little bitty compressor cover would like high boost. Right now I have a ta49 with the .82 Garrett housing... its not on the car or anything, and I was told it would spool pretty slow with that housing, so I'm in the process of selling it right now. I'm also considering a pt51... i guess it would be better on the top end, but would I be able to build adequate boost off the line for a decent launch on DRs? what about something like a te44? any other suggestions? I don't have the funds for a BB turbo, so don't bother.

i guess i might end up putting the orange stripe in, but i'm kind of thinking that i want to do a motor rebuild (or 4.1 swap) and a tranny rebuild sometime in the future, so i don't exactly want to go to the trouble of pulling the tranny just to put on a converter if i'm going to do all that other stuff soon anyway. i guess it will probably be at least a year or 2 before i do all that stuff, so maybe it is worth it to put that converter in now. what do you guys think, would it make a big difference to put an orange stripe in there? i guess it might make sense to get a turbo that just works OK on the stock converter, but one I could grow into with the orange stripe. lets hear some suggestions from somebody with a little more experience in all this stuff than me!

TA49 & TE44 with the Garrett .63 exhaust housing is hard to beat on a mild combo with the stock D5 converter. They will both work well at those boost levels & are essentially the same turbo. The TA49 has the stock compressor cover & is my choice for it's stock looks.

i've heard the ta-49 doesn't do well at boost above 20 lbs. is that true? and what kind of difference would we be talking about versus something like a pt51, also considering that the 51 has worse lag?

If you can find a GT3255E grab it.
The baddest i found for a full stock setup but Precision stopped making them

X2 on the GT3255. I love mine. It spools insanely fast with a 0 pump Vigilante. It spooled good with the stock TC too. Times in sig on a stock motor and 25-26lbs of boost.

x3 on the GT3255, worked well wiith the stock converter, and really came alive with a 2800 stall converter. had it set for 22-23 lbs with alky,with zero knock, and probably had room to go higher. Once upon a time Cottons still had, or had access to them. Might be worth a phone call.

i think i'm pretty much limited to what i can find used on the forums due to poorness, but i'll look for a 3255.

somebody offered me a pretty good deal on a pt51... how much difference are we talking about here vs. something like the gt3255?

I may have one for sale soon,We are gonna throw a 6776 on a stock motor asd see how it runs,if alls well,Its for sale.

yeah, ball bearings are out of the question right now unless i find somebody dumb enough to sell one for 500 bucks or something!

check the parts for sale section

some one has one of those up right now!!

i think i'm pretty much limited to what i can find used on the forums due to poorness, but i'll look for a 3255.

somebody offered me a pretty good deal on a pt51... how much difference are we talking about here vs. something like the gt3255?

If you have a TE49, just use that. Mine went 11.53@118+ mph at 23 psi with the stock longblock.

It won't hold your combo back enough to justify an $600 new turbo. There are probably other, much cheaper things doing that.

Instead, I save the $600 to put towards a set of ported heads later and have an insanely responsive set up for the street. Just don't drive it in the rain.

i have a 49, but it has the .82 garrett housing. several people told me it would spool pretty slow on a stock converter. do you think it would be ok? Anyway, I'm selling it for about what i'm going to pay for another one... i'm not buying a brand new turbo or anything.

of course a pt51 might be just as slow as a .82 ta49. hmm, the more i look the more i hear good things about the gt3255. that might be the winner.

another thing i thought of was that if i'm going to be running e-85, it might spool a turbo a little faster than gasoline (more fuel and air getting burned).