Best street tire for TTA ?

turbotaone

I'm getting ready to replace the tires on my TTA,
and was just wondering what performance radial
would be the best for this car. Is there a favorite
among the TTA owners ?

Thanks James.

Are you looking for handling or straight line traction?

For handling, the tire to beat would be a Michelin Pilot Sport or Pilot Sport A/S, but they're about $250 each. There are many other good cheaper choices, such as the BF Goodrich Comp T/A KD's (dry weather), KDW's (wet and dry), Firestone Firehawk SZ/50, etc.

I personally run Comp TA KDW's on my car and I'm very happy with them. I was going to get Pilot Sport A/S tires (I run them on my Pro-Touring Chevelle and love them) but at the time I couldn't justify the cost, the KDW's were half the price. They ride good, they're pretty quiet, they have a ton of grip in turns, and they have good straight line traction.

If you want to run drag radials in the back for more straight line traction someone else will have to help as I've never ran them myself. I have friend running the new BF Goodrich drag radials that like them, and they've also used Nitto NT555DR's with good results.

Firestone Firehawks came up as a popular choice over the last year, but some other guys have been recommending import tires. Maybe they will chime in or I'll find some old traffic on it.
Khumo's (spelling?)

Good question, I'm looking too!

Red Regal T has some tires that he swears by. I cant remember the name tho. Maybe do a search under his user name.

Otherwise, these firehawks arn't that bad.... they look nice too.

The best looking tire I ever had was on a 91 firebird formula with the bridgstone potenza's (re730 I think).

Bo

For the back my car will see nothing but a Nitto Drag Radial, they work great in the rain and you can drive across the country on them.

Not sure what to put on the front yet, thinkin about the firehawks.

I've used T/A radials for years. Of course they are made or owned by Michelin now, and I'm still in French boycott mode :)

But my real complaint is the T/A radials have no warranty on them at all - nothing - at least down here in CT where I bought them over the years. I can't live with that anymore.

I have used the Goodyear Eagle GSC tire for many years and really like them. I think it was the stock tire on the Corvette at one time. It is great for cornering and has incredible traction in the rain. However, they are getting hard to find since Goodyear is replacing it with the F1 series tire.

I've got 255s all around on my IROC. The difference in width is minimal, and they have a slightly taller height that just doesn't look right to me.

I just put four Falken P255/50/ZR16's on my TTA. <2% change in speedometer reading, 0.4 inches additional width over stock. (Discount Tire)

Not as soft as many, but ride a LOT better than the Pirelli's that were on there, and, stick just as well....I especially like the bead of rubber that protects the wheel edge from curb rash :) Aggressive tread pattern. Good all 'round tire that will hold my stock setup just fine.

I can brake them loose with a power brake launch & WOT, but they stick well enough to suit me just fine.

I don't ever plan a trip to the track. I'm not supporting France this week either ;)

:cool: