Best spot to cut and re-attach quarter

WE287GN

Hey all...Been a while since I stopped the restoring process..After playing with a MIG a little on other projects..I am starting to get more comfortable.
When I first pulled my donor quarters I seperated them at the factory roof seam undoing ALL the spot welds..
Now that some time has past and I have gained a little experience I am leaning towards not trying to re-attach at the factory roof seam..Seams insane now..
Question is, do I cut straight across somewhere around middle quarter glass, do I go lower next to the body line to gain some strength???

Another thought could be just under the factory seam?

Trying to get motivated on this project...This will help me stir the pot:wink:

Thanks

I've had rear quarters replaced on one of my cars and they were cut midway through the rear quarter glass like shown in the post above.

I've had rear quarters replaced on one of my cars and they were cut midway through the rear quarter glass like shown in the post above.

From what little I have come across on the web, I have yet to see an example a quarter job done using the factory seam on the g body Regal.

I didn't mind so much hacking at the donor roof, but I do not want that mess with the GN..

Thanks for the reply Paul, helps to know what some others have done..
I am still torn, using the factory way might be easier to hide with body work than a weld across the panel for a novice like me.

Chris,

I don't know how hard it would be to do it at the factory seam? All I know is that when mine was done it was done mid way through the rear quarter glass. You can NOT tell on either side that anything has been changed or isn't original (except obviously the paint is better) but the guy that did my car looked at it for awhile before deciding to cut where he did.

I've only had the car back for a little over a year, but I am happy with what was done and the way it turned out. Good luck with yours!!!

i just repainted my gn and never saw a line for the quarter. and i went to bare metal all over the car...