Best oil filter for Biggie setup

c&cgn

It is, what it is...
A search did not give me the exact answer I am looking for. Is it the PF24 or is there a better one on the market that I should be considering? One that is readily available and not discontinued like others in the past.

I ASSume that the PF24 is the same concept as the PF52 I am currently using, except larger, correct? (referring to anti drain-back valve)

Funny you should ask ... see
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37377
from about a month ago.

I'm partial to the Baldwin B9 ... it's about 20-25% longer than the Delco PF24 but otherwise is same diameter, gasket, & thread size.

The B9 has a heavy, strong metal shell, and the Baldwin's anti-drainback valve seems to be consistent and good (I've had some leaky Delco anti-drainbacks).

The Purolator L30005 is the same size as the Baldwin B9, but I didn't like the Purolator as much-- its shell is noticeably lighter and flimsier than the Baldwin.

Clayton, the PF-24 is correct for the "biggie". Unfortunately, our options for a premium version of this size are going away. The one readily available size I currently know about is the Wix 51258.

If you have trouble getting them locally, I can send them to you.

Do you just use the PF24 instead of the stock filter or is there anything that needs to be changed? tia

The "biggie" is a replacement for the nut the holds the oil cooler adapter to the timing cover/filter housing.

It is machined with SAE threads instead of metric threads so a PF-24 or similar oil filter can be used. This is the same filter as used on Buick V-8's and earlier V-6's. Its capacity and filtering ability is much greater than the metric PF-47 type.

If you like try the AMSOIL SDF-24. I use it on the TTA and it seems to have all the features (anti drainback etc).

Originally posted by gn1220
So the PF 52 screws right on with no mods?

Yes.

If you want to go with the even bigger filters such as I do, you have to get the biggie oil filter adapter from RJC.

BTW, thanks for your help guys, I wasn't sure whether the PF24 was the right filter and whether it had the anti-drainback valve or not.

Nick,

This appears true. No more Pure Ones will be made. I beleive the Mobile 1's are being discontinued as well Perhaps a Moroso race filter? The ones that fit a BB buick?

I just bought Mobil1 M1-203 filters at K Mart store closing sale for $1.99 ea. The M1-201 is the same as the PF 52. Check your local K Marts before they close.