best insurance for a driven GN

Velon

just wondering if anybody knew of any reputable insurance companies to insurure full coverage with theft ofcourse. All that I've found so far say I can't drive the car to work or basically anywhere but car shows, etc. I tried grundy, hagerty, and allstate so far, but nobody wants to cover it. thanks
Andy

i used farm bureau with a 17k stated value policy. they didnt have any problem as long as an appraisal was done.

rag93vette said:
i used farm bureau with a 17k stated value policy. they didnt have any problem as long as an appraisal was done.
same here but our value is @ $18,000. I have a gentleman looking @ purchasing my car, he said he talked to hagerty & they told him about $500 per year.

rag93vette said:

This should be a sticky...

Stated value insurance is worthless. You must have agreed upon value insurance.

Andy,

The problem you are having is that this will be your primary transportation Im guessing, and you want to drive the car as you see fit. I pay $500 a year too, but they insist on having another insured vehilce that is used as the primary.I have Haggerty and it too has an agreed value policy ($25,000), but has many stipulations on how its used and where its stored. You will be able to find the coverage you desire, but its going to cost you alot of money I would bet.

insurance

thanks for the replies. The GN is not my primary driver, I drive it to work about once a week and just around town (about 5,000) miles a year. Plus I had 1 ticket on my record for 20 over that wasn't even in my car, and hagerty also had a problem with that.

I deal with insurance every day in the collision industry and State Farm is the best around my area to deal with.

thanks jp87gn, i'll also give state farm a try. I talked to you previously abouth those simmons wheels, they look really good, i saved some pics of your car. I have those 18*8 18*10 enkies that I sent you a pic of a while back.
Andy

I had full coverage on mine up until last week AllState. I just dropped it to liability only. I payed $80 a month. Now it's $33 a month. The problem was I didn't have an "agreed upon value" and I didn't want to take chances. They will insure it if you take it to a local appraisal shop dealing in this but there is additional cost involved.

Now that I no longer have a lean on it, I am going to go with Grundy's. $254 a year with an agreed upon value of $12500.

There are several stipulations though. While it is unlimited mileage, you can not drive it to work, participate in speed contests, it has to be garaged and it can not be your first or second vehicle.

This is what I was advised when I called them. They mail you a packet that you fill out and mail back and you must provide a couple of pictures.

From what I have been told, Grundy's is one of the highest rated in customer satisfaction.

I called AllState and ask them about the coverage that I had. I wanted to know if the appraiser uses NADA or KBB (Kelley Blue Book) pricing or something else. My concern was that they would use KBB which only shows my car worth $6500 tops. NADA is $14500. They couldn't answer my question. Are there any appriasers out there that can answer this?

ins

thanks for the reply justabuickv6, I am running into the same problem with allstate withno agreed upon value, i might be better off going with Grundy's too.thanks
Andy

Velon

Just be aware there are stipulations with Grundy's. They advise you can't drive it to work. I don't see how they would know if you do it every once in a while.

Velon said:
thanks for the reply justabuickv6, I am running into the same problem with allstate withno agreed upon value, i might be better off going with Grundy's too.thanks
Andy
I would stay away from Allstate! In my business they are the best at bending over there customers and the shops!

Here is an endorsement and actual results with State Farm. I just had comprehensive insurance cause I very seldom drove the car. It was coverd for fire and theft etc. Someone broke into my fenced off property and vandelised the car and stole as much as they could take off the car. State Farm sent out an appraiser and he looked at the car. I told them about 5k in parts were stolen and they said it was more then they thought those cars were worth so they sent out a independent appraiser. He looked up values on the imternet and looked at my car. State Farm called me the next day and said They had no idea the cars were worth that much and to come down and pick up a check for 22k. It was a 87 GN with 149k on it. They let me buy it for 1900 bucks. I was impressed This happened this year

insurance

I would like to give state farm a chance. Do they have a web site where I could apply for Atlanta, Georgia? thanks
Andy

justabuickv6 said:
Velon

Just be aware there are stipulations with Grundy's. They advise you can't drive it to work. I don't see how they would know if you do it every once in a while.
They sure would know where you were headed if a collsion occured at 7:30AM on a Tuesday. You don't want an insurance company to catch you with your pants down. :eek:

I called AllState and ask them about the coverage that I had. I wanted to know if the appraiser uses NADA or KBB (Kelley Blue Book) pricing or something else. My concern was that they would use KBB which only shows my car worth $6500 tops. NADA is $14500. They couldn't answer my question. Are there any appriasers out there that can answer this?[/QUOTE]

I am not an appraiser for Allstate but I think they use a service called ADP. I am a claims person for another major insurance company and can try and help you out. You need to be careful with advice here on companies ( aside from specialty insurance which is pretty straightfoward). The way your car is valued/estimate is determined by a combination of your actual policy and your individual state guidelines. Alot of people will make blanket statements regarding insurance which, while in some cases maybe true , may not be true in your state.

For example : total losses. Some states only allow a company to use NADA. Other companies use an outside company which supposedly completes a market search of comprable vehicles ( CCC is one company ) . Others ( like the one I use) uses a program which averages 2 predetermined source guides ( in this case Redbook and NADA ) .

While I wouldnt keep a mint low mile high $$ value car on a regular personal auot policy , I think its fine for a regular unmodified car. MOst policies require you to carry extra coverage for any custom parts and equipment over stock. ALL policies allow for a arbitration clause where if you dispute the vlaue you can get an independant appraiser to dispute the value. Once you " threaten " this you can usually negotiate the value as the ins company also has to hire an appraiser.

The key is getting prepared to deal with the appraiser and proving with exact comprable vehicles that your car is worth $ "x" . You also have to take into consideration that to the average insurance company rep your car is just a 87 Regal ......they , just like the average person, know what a GN is worth.

Hope that helps and I can answer more if you need it.