Best External Pump for E85 and Stock tank

Spooln1

Like the title says. I'm converting my fuel system to E-85. Going to 120lb/hr injectors, will change all the lines and fuel rails etc. Modded ecm on the way with power logger and a wideband for tuning. The rest of my set up is in my sig. The car will be mainly a street car. Trips to the track a couple times a year during Buick events mostly. Looking to make low 10 sec power if not more. The car has had a frame off restoration and the underside is beautiful, so using the stock tank is preferred. I've been reading up a lot on e-85 and I know a few guys are going fast with modified new walboro 340 double pumpers. I'm looking for reliability and safety in a pump along with flexibility to do it right, once in case the set up is ever changed in the future. Any and all advice welcome.

Thanks,
Neil

Aeromotive= good pumps, but overrated about 20-30% in flow
Weldon= great pumps. Noisy. Comes with flow sheet so you know what yours flows
Magnafuel= great pumps. Will not warranty if pump breaks due to E85
Fuel lab= good pumps. Overrated in flow. I would take off 30% of the rated flow for safety.

I went with the Weldon 2345A just so I'd never have to look back.

Talk to Kinsler fuel injection about this stuff. They do a ton of methanol cars. Ask for Justin.

Weldon Pumps for me are the BEST. Waterman are also great !!.. Had 2 A1000 go bad on me back to back less than 5k miles on each will never use there a1000 pumps again they do have good filters and fpr though..A buddy if mine is using all new Magnafuel stuff he likes it i have never used maganafuel, since i went to Weldon i never have had a problem,

Related to the top post they are only noisy if you dont use the Weldon fuel pump controller which controls the pumps voltage it can be fairly quiet if you use the Fuel Pump controller.

Weldon Pumps for me are the BEST. Waterman are also great !!.. Had 2 A1000 go bad on me back to back less than 5k miles on each will never use there a1000 pumps again they do have good filters and fpr though..A buddy if mine is using all new Magnafuel stuff he likes it i have never used maganafuel, since i went to Weldon i never have had a problem,

Related to the top post they are only noisy if you dont use the Weldon fuel pump controller which controls the pumps voltage it can be fairly quiet if you use the Fuel Pump controller.

Waterman cable drive is the tits!! hahah but I don't think he'll need enough fuel for a belt-driven pump :D

Kinsler has a wiring diagram that will allow you to not need a fuel pump controller, by providing in-line fuses and proper grounds so that the pump won't fry or short out if there is a voltage spike/drop. Also, every Weldon comes with a flow chart to know what it puts out. Justin @ Kinsler pulled all the 2345A's off the shelf and gave me the one that flows the most! 18gph more than the rated flow!! Talk about customer service!!!

As for the wiring-Basically as long as you give the pump 10ga or better wiring, an inline fuse and separate relay, and a direct to-battery ground, you should be fine. Checkout my "infamous wiring diagram" thread for the picture.

Wow! I am sorry for your pain on the a-1000. Can I ask you did you send it back to Brett over at Aeromotive to see what your issue was? I am shocked. General rule of thumb for a-1000 34x2000 cylcle hours is where you should be at for miles, at common 60psi. Another thing Heavy percentages of Aeromotive's fault of equipment is not having propper instal techniques. Feel free to call Brett at any time at Aeromotive, he would be more happy to help you. I'm sorry but I have used a-1000 pumps for a long time and will easily get 54,000 miles out of them for street use, and hevier man hours on track use I still have one from 4 years of use. Fuel pump speed controller for street use to helps.

Wow! I am sorry for your pain on the a-1000. Can I ask you did you send it back to Brett over at Aeromotive to see what your issue was? I am shocked. General rule of thumb for a-1000 34x2000 cylcle hours is where you should be at for miles, at common 60psi. Another thing Heavy percentages of Aeromotive's fault of equipment is not having propper instal techniques. Feel free to call Brett at any time at Aeromotive, he would be more happy to help you. I'm sorry but I have used a-1000 pumps for a long time and will easily get 54,000 miles out of them for street use, and hevier man hours on track use I still have one from 4 years of use. Fuel pump speed controller for street use to helps.

No wiring issue, had the same wiring on the weldon. i didnt call Brett or anyone at Aeromotive i threw it in the garbage and bought a Weldon, never had another problem. I personally dont want to know the names of ppl at certain companies because i dont want to buy a product and have to talk to ppl to get issues resolved.The united states army uses Weldon and they can also be found in alot of aviation/race boat applications if its good enough for an Aircraft its good enough for my car. I will not use an aeromotive a1000 ever again. I have yet to ever hear about a failed Weldon pump not once. But everyone is entitled to there own opinions. And i personally feel the Weldon is superior to an aeromotive

*note the fuel i ran on both was e85 and i would mix some benol oil in the fuel or some maxxis into the e85 i mean very little..You can put anything thru a weldon it will support any fuel!

$(KGrHqVHJEwE91576-J,BPe6p,4doQ~~60_58.JPG

No wiring issue, had the same wiring on the weldon. i didnt call Brett or anyone at Aeromotive i threw it in the garbage and bought a Weldon, never had another problem. I personally dont want to know the names of ppl at certain companies because i dont want to buy a product and have to talk to ppl to get issues resolved.The united states army uses Weldon and they can also be found in alot of aviation/race boat applications if its good enough for an Aircraft its good enough for my car. I will not use an aeromotive a1000 ever again. I have yet to ever hear about a failed Weldon pump not once. But everyone is entitled to there own opinions. And i personally feel the Weldon is superior to an aeromotive

*note the fuel i ran on both was e85 and i would mix some benol oil in the fuel or some maxxis into the e85 i mean very little..You can put anything thru a weldon it will support any fuel!

View attachment 168410

First off I just tried to help, and second off I said in my first post that I support Weldon. I know of Weldon cause I was an 63y in The Army, but your logic is an entitlement to your opinion. I am just trying to find out how the hell you went through two pumps at five thousand miles? See a pattern? Good luck, but I will back up that Fuel Lab had a defect in there product when I ran it at the time. Sorry I don't just go buying product and through it away.

First off I just tried to help, and second off I said in my first post that I support Weldon. I know of Weldon cause I was an 63y in The Army, but your logic is an entitlement to your opinion. I am just trying to find out how the hell you went through two pumps at five thousand miles? See a pattern? Good luck, but I will back up that Fuel Lab had a defect in there product when I ran it at the time. Sorry I don't just go buying product and through it away.

Maybe it was a bad batch? Who knows.

If I call "X" engine builder, they recommended me Weldon. If I called "Y", they recommended Aeromotive. (Yes, this did happen). I think a lot of it is personal opinion, and how they view a few bad experiences. There will always be the preverbial "bad batch" or so, or perhaps there was a voltage spike and it fried the pump- who knows? Point being that some people like X, and some like Y.

All I can say is that I've been told by those who test and flow Aeromotive and Weldon pumps, and sell both- that Aeromotive's regularly flow 25-30% less. I've heard of Eliminator (800 lb/hr@80psi) flowing 550 lb/hr @80psi, and the Pro Series which is rated at 1000 lb/hr @80psi flowing 775 lb/hr, and that this is a regular occurance. Both at 14v.

I think you also can look at the "piece of mind" factor with these things. If I spend 800$ on an Aeromotive, how long is it warrantied for? What does it flow? If I spend the same on a Weldon, I know what it flows, and I know I have a lifetime warranty with my pump.

Its like building a 600hp motor with billet caps- do you *need* a forged crank? Probably not. But it definitely doesn't hurt.

Maybe it was a bad batch? Who knows.

If I call "X" engine builder, they recommended me Weldon. If I called "Y", they recommended Aeromotive. (Yes, this did happen). I think a lot of it is personal opinion, and how they view a few bad experiences. There will always be the preverbial "bad batch" or so, or perhaps there was a voltage spike and it fried the pump- who knows? Point being that some people like X, and some like Y.

All I can say is that I've been told by those who test and flow Aeromotive and Weldon pumps, and sell both- that Aeromotive's regularly flow 25-30% less. I've heard of Eliminator (800 lb/hr@80psi) flowing 550 lb/hr @80psi, and the Pro Series which is rated at 1000 lb/hr @80psi flowing 775 lb/hr, and that this is a regular occurance. Both at 14v.

I think you also can look at the "piece of mind" factor with these things. If I spend 800$ on an Aeromotive, how long is it warrantied for? What does it flow? If I spend the same on a Weldon, I know what it flows, and I know I have a lifetime warranty with my pump.

Its like building a 600hp motor with billet caps- do you *need* a forged crank? Probably not. But it definitely doesn't hurt.

I am on your side here. Weldon is great company, but they don't give me the treatment Aeromotive does. Steve the owner is great guy, and I have never had an issue with there product, and my situation is more personal then your good point. Sory if I came off a little harsh ,no punt intended gentlemen. We are all on the same side. If it works don't fix it , and if it breaks two times in a row, well I am going to find out why so the brotherhood of friends don't struggle with a manufacture issue that should be reported.

Can I stick with my stock tank when I switch to the external? Will I run into any issues? Thanks for all the advice.

I am on your side here. Weldon is great company, but they don't give me the treatment Aeromotive does. Steve the owner is great guy, and I have never had an issue with there product, and my situation is more personal then your good point. Sory if I came off a little harsh ,no punt intended gentlemen. We are all on the same side. If it works don't fix it , and if it breaks two times in a row, well I am going to find out why so the brotherhood of friends don't struggle with a manufacture issue that should be reported.

Hey, there's no "sides" here-we're all Buick guys :).

I'm sure everyone has had great customer service with various companies- its in the companies best interest to do so. I'm sure there is someone out there that has had two Weldons break right in a row. No company is perfect. We can all understand being fed up after giving it two tries though, ya know?

Can I stick with my stock tank when I switch to the external? Will I run into any issues? Thanks for all the advice.

If you sump the stock tank, you can. IMO, I would get a fuel cell, or grab a McRobbs(I think that's it) unit, which basically turns the stock hanger into a -8 or -10 feed with a -6 return, and allows you to run an external pump. As long as you plump the feed to the hanger so it won't cavitate, and the pump isn't too far from the tank (pumps like to push, not pull) then you should be cool.

i heard the robbmc hat isn't a good idea.

sumping the tank can cause rust issues at the seams where the sump is if you use ethanol fuels.

i heard the robbmc hat isn't a good idea.

sumping the tank can cause rust issues at the seams where the sump is if you use ethanol fuels.

Yeah, my assumption is the various bends and amount the pump has to pull with the RobbmC.

And yea, he has to get the tank coated if he wants to reuse it. (I was trying to give him a less expensive option, but I really think a fuel cell is the way to go..)

Yeah, my assumption is the various bends and amount the pump has to pull with the RobbmC.

And yea, he has to get the tank coated if he wants to reuse it. (I was trying to give him a less expensive option, but I really think a fuel cell is the way to go..)

Get a cell

Plush I think these cars look 100% better from the rear when there isnt a tank hanging down...shows off the rear end effort too!!!

Not that theres anything wrong with the pumps menitoned, but you don't need to spend a ment on an e85 pump. 2 inline 255HP walbros will provide more than enough fuel for your goals on e85. (under $100 each). You can also modify your hangar/mount and run 2 intank 255's.

Jayracing sells e85 compatible intank E85 pumps that flow 340 LPH @ 40 psi, 270 LPH @ 5 bar. Best flowing in tank pump on the market for the money IMHO. ($150 each.)

walbro 255 double pumper will give me enough fuel to put me into the low tens? From what I have been reading I didnt think those would be enough