Best cam for my setup?

scojack_2001

Livin' Like A Refugee
Im considering doing a cam swap when I get my heads back from being ported. Used a set of seasoned 8445s for my ported ones. Car currently has run a best of 11.48@115 with a 1.58 60' on a 255/50/16 MT DR. Full weight street car with working everything and a 36mm front swaybar too.

Car is setup like this.

Stock original 109 w/double roller chain & Comp 980s
Limit Eng. journal bearing TE-62 w/ .63 PTE exhaust housing (P-trim?)
Dutt Neck stock IC
Built 200-4R w/ 32-3400 ProTorque 9.5" billet lockup convertor
3" THDP/ Quad Air downpipe w/ testpipe and Hooker exhaust
Stock TB w/ ported plenum running a PP
MSD50s w/ Walbro 340 & Accufab reg.
PLX SM-AFR standalone wideband
AlkyControl single nozzle
Boxed LCAs w/ ATR-replica bar & airbags
All the other basic upgrades w/ PowerLogger as well.

Car weighs 3700lb. or so and I'd like to see a 10.8-10.9 before I call it done.

Any suggestions on a cam choice? Would like to stay with a flat tappet as a roller would probably bankrupt me...:( Not that it wouldnt be nice though.

Thanks guys.

The 204/214 is a good flat tappet cam. My dads 86 in the sig just went 126 mph with one on a smallish 6152e at 24 lbs of boost. Its a great cam imo

Thanks. Anywhere I can find info on that cam? Lift, duration, etc?

I also have the Erson 208 cam. I'll email you the specs for it that I got from Erson. I'd post them here but the "cut and paste" causes the line breaks and all to get messed up and it becomes unreadable.

Mike

erson specs

1,500- e670101 280°/ in 208° /in .434" /in 111° 4° .000" in
4,800 rv10h 280°/ ex 208° /ex .434" /ex .000" ex

2,000- e670121 292° in 214° in .463" in 111° 4° .000" in
5,400 tq20h 292° ex 214° ex .463" ex .000" ex

http://www.mrgasket.com/ftp/pdf/erson.pdf
page 9

I have wiped two flat tappets. I would just do the heads and intake with new springs. See where that gets you. Leave the lifters in the same bores and use the stock cam. I'd bet with more boost and a tad more timing you could reach your goal.

Scojack I saved up and bought a roller (not a billet)...I feel like it's the best thing I have done so far...I don't worry about it one bit, didn't have to worry about breaking it in, and man does my car feel stronger compaired to the stock cam.

I have a 218/218, but that might be a bit more than you need for your goals.

Scojack I saved up and bought a roller (not a billet)...I feel like it's the best thing I have done so far...I don't worry about it one bit, didn't have to worry about breaking it in, and man does my car feel stronger compaired to the stock cam.

+1 Comp doesn't warranty the flat tappet cam unless you coat it with the Pro Plasma Nitriding stuff if I am not mistaken. You are only saving like 400 bucks over a roller setup. Plus, I don't trust most of the oils now a days.

kirban 2 cents worth

Erson seems to be a good pick....from above postings...they sell our product ZDDPlus as we did private label for them.

Richard Clark has tested probably almost every national brand assembly paste you get with cams and I can tell you Eldebrock was one of the poorest.

The new Zpaste with the 4 ounce bottle of zddplus will handle the break in issues....for a flat tappet set up.

Without getting scientific....nitriding is not the hot ticket to a lasting cam.....

I deal with some shops that are now finding out some of the oils that claim to have higher levels of zddp in them are still marginal at best and they are adding our 4 ounces to the mix as well.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Keep in mind the company behind zddplus owns the largest turbo buick collection. Erson has been using our product for over a year now under their label.

208/208 Erson

The Erson 208 /208 is a very good cam! we installed one in a friends 86 Gn pulled like hell and it was very quiet operation. Had smooth idle and was very streetable.

ref ERSON 208 cam

what is the rpm power band that this cam is pulling strong,
and what size turbo are guys using?

Id keep the stock cam if you are worried about going bankrupt and leave the car at 11.50 since running 10's reliably will cost you a hell of a lot more than a roller cam if you want it to last.

has anyone used this LUNATI flat tappet?
214/224 @ .050 --- .472 / .496 lift
if so, with what conv, turbo, heads, etc ?