best boost guage recomended

carkicker

rumspringer
im buying my first boost guage , and would appreciate some recomendations from any that would care to put their $00.02 in . i also need a knock sensor as well as oil pressure , and coolant temp . so basically , we need em all , but we would like to get the best possible combination of these as possible . is there a combination boost / knock guage , thats one unit , by any chance , maybe programmable , or somehow ecm intercompatible , thats popular amongst the tr population . theres alot to choose from out there . any constructive opinion would be a very appreciated time and energy , and probably engine saver for us . we have the 87 GN . & lovin every minute of it . so far we've got some really valueable , and reliable information from yall , so thanks to everyone that takes the time to reply to us . & god bless the USA

I would look at the Autometer website and find a style you like in the car. I use the Z Series. You can put them in the A pillar on the drivers side where you see most boost gauges. Holders or pods can be purchased to hold 1,2, or 3 gauges. You have the console gauge holder available too. The most popular units hold 2-2 1/16" gauges and blends in very well. GNS offers a 3 gauge holder that sits to the right of the cluster and above the radio which holds three gages also. The most popular size used around here is the 2 1/16" gauges for these reasons.

Now, most use a "mechanical style" Boost gauge. They offer electrical ones but they do cost more. For the oil pressure I prefer the "electrical style" gauge type. It reads off of a sending unit you have to install under the hood on the engine. The same goes for the coolant tempature gauge. Mechanical units are more of a hassle for those two to me beacuse of the chance of the oil line leaking and the bulky cable for the temp sending setup.

The Scanmaster 2.1 is what I use to monitor knock retard. It also gives you ECM information that is useful in monitoring and tuning the GN.

Get a SM2.1 for starters.
I have an autometer vac/boost gauge that works great. Might even be for sale;)
goes to 20#
I am installing alky and will need a 30#:biggrin: gauge.

Whatever you decide on make sure it is vac/boost.

I have an autometer es series gauge and it is so easy to read. They make all the gauges you were asking about (save for boost/knock combo, Great idea though) but are pricey. I would without a doubt order a scanmaster best money you will spend on your car.

I would suggest using the speedhut gauges.

Firstly completly customizable. You can select fonts, color face, color trim ring, color illumination..

Secondly the gauge is driven from its own map sensor so it is not like most gauges you need this vac line run to that could cause a potential unseen leak. After the map it is a nice tidy wire to and from the gauge..

Boost Gauge, Revolution Gauges Series by SpeedHut

I have a VDO boost/Vac gage and I'm not very happy with it. It reads 2 psi lower than actual (confirmed by another gage AND Powerlogger/Scanmaster). No wonder I was getting knock at 16Psi ! :mad:

Boost - Auto Meter 4303
Oil Pressure - Auto Meter 4353
Water Temperature - Auto Meter 4355
Knock - Casper's 102004

The above are examples of excellent gauges.

Auto Meter has myriad choices of gauges/attributes. Casper's knock gauges feature various face and trim color choices. Refer to the respective websites.

The above Auto Meter gauges are mechanical, electrical and electrical, respectively. They are all full sweep.

GL!

BTW, the accuracy of a boost gauge is less important than its repeatability. Who cares if you blow your head gaskets at 28 PSI or 30 PSI, indicated? Either way you're pulling the motor.

Boost - Auto Meter 4303
Oil Pressure - Auto Meter 4353
Water Temperature - Auto Meter 4355
Knock - Casper's 102004

The above are examples of excellent gauges.

Auto Meter has myriad choices of gauges/attributes. Casper's knock gauges feature various face and trim color choices. Refer to the respective websites.

The above Auto Meter gauges are mechanical, electrical and electrical, respectively. They are all full sweep.

GL!
We have a winner

Yes

Autometer . Or aem tru boost & aem wideband . Adjusting boost on the fly is very handy .. 70after racing has the best price on ebay

BTW, the accuracy of a boost gauge is less important than its repeatability. Who cares if you blow your head gaskets at 28 PSI or 30 PSI, indicated? Either way you're pulling the motor.

Yeah, but it WOULD make you chase your tail. IE: "WHY am I getting knock? I'm only running 15 pounds of boost?" When you are REALLY at 17+ psi. You want an accurate gage...believe me.

Also, don't waste your time with a knock gage. Although it's a quality piece but it really works as a false knock detector since it reads straight from the knock sensor feed to the ECM, not from the ECM itself. Read knock off your scanmaster or better yet, install a powerlogger and upgrade the scanmaster chip...it'll read up to 10 scans/sec.