best alky pump

tacordes

:)
My shurflo 8000-543-236 that I have been using for about 3 years is leaking between the diaphram and the alum base. From what I have read here when this happens Its best to buy a new pump rather than try to rebuild it.
Heres my question, the leaky shurflo I have has worked perfect from day one till now.... should I buy an exact replacement or is there a better pump that is actually designed to work with alky....
I run 100% denatured alky in a home made 2 stage system....
thanks tom
st. louis

Any shurflo is not made for alky... It just so happens they work fine for a few years. This isn't a problem unless for some reason you aren't properly monitoring the system during a blast. There are alternatives, such as a weldon fuel pump, but then you cannot run ANY water thru it and it also needs maintained since there are tool steel internals, then there's the 500$ pricetag. There is also the pumptec, but I have no exp with that unit. For as cheap as the shurflo is, it is most economical just to replace it or the diaphram.

I've been working on an alternative to a pump altogether which should be pretty bada$$, but I have not enough time to finish any of my projects with how unreliable a 9sec daily driver is - not to mention that it's sucking all of my R&D monies away from me :mad:

Phil

There are things that can be done to the pumps so they can hang a very long time. And there is no mechanical part I know of that lasts for ever. If a pump delivers reliable performance for at least two years, its more than paid for itself.

Even the 500.00 race car pumps for fuel... those go out pretty often as well.

Any new pump I have sold since October last year has not failed in any way. The clock is running.. older shurflo pumps due to the way that the MFG assembled them, will run into leaks at some point.

I sell a new pump for 140.00 and comes with an unconditional 1 year warranty using methanol.

I had some problems with the shurflo pump after a couple months. It was the diaphram that is in the power switching mechanism. It blew out, not sure if it was the methanol or not. the replacement part was cheap, and its been ok since. but i dont have alot of time on this car, it doesnt get driven much, so hard to say how reliable it is. its a cheap pump, my advice is to have a pressure gauge so you can always monitor it. that seal doesn't like the constant cycling of the pump, i suspect thats what wore it out.