best 93 octane street combination?

87buickregal

Guys, I have a 99k 87 T that has a few things like MAF pipe, K&N, adj. fpr, new O2, plugs, wires, etc., mostly stock. I plan on getting a walbro 340, new injectors, turbo, maybe big neck, chip, scan master, boost gauge, and valve springs. My question is what combination of injectors and turbo would be the best for the street on 93 octane given my stock heads and stock stall? I'm thinking something along the lines of a TA 49 or TE 44 (is there a big diff. between these two?), and maybe some 42 # injectors with a chip from Eric Marshall for this combo. What do you guys think? Anything else I should consider or I missed there? Also, since this is my first time doing a fuel pump on these cars, what method do you guys use to drain the tank? Thanks.

Draining the tank is pretty simple, Follow these instructions:

1. Drive car untill the gas gauge reads very near "E" then move on to step 2

2. Drop the tank and change the pump.

Not so complicated ;) :D

Forgot to ask, does anybody have a recommendation for the best drag radial to use for everyday driving? thanks.

I prefer Nittos all the way because they are beyond sticky when you heat them up...but most people wouldn't agree with me for a daily driver....prob bf goodrich or something like that would do great.

to do a fp u really dont need to drain the tank ive done one with a full tank by myself lol

Just wait till the tank gets low and remove the schrader valve on the fuel rail(by the FPR). Slip a long hose over and clamp it, put the other end in a gas can and turn the key to the run position. Should be empty in a few minutes. Even a 1/4 tank of gas is a pain to wrestle with.

TE44

50-60 lb. injectors and Turbotweak alky. chip.

High flowing exhaust and see through cat. conv.

Nitto drag radials on an 8" rim. ;)

Big neck or stretch stock location intercooler.

And then: :eek: :D :) :cool:

Back to the Original Question.....

Combo for 93 octane......Unless you plan to run an alky kit or add some octane, I doubt you will notice a difference in the 49/44 over the stock turbo at the boost levels you'd be running, cause either turbo 44/49 is not going to shine until you get past about 22 psi and that's not going to happen on 93 w/ no adder of fuel. Now on the other hand, if your ready to add alky or at least 100 octane. I went 7.70s in TOTAL STREET TRIM, radial tires, street chip(low timing), low boost 22/23 psi), 100 octane and all w/ the combo salvageV6 listed, not pushing the car.

Secondly...If you do the injectors, do them one time. Go ahead a step up to at least 50's and I would recommend bigger. The High z's 57 or 60'swould be a nice choice, since no ecm mods are needed.

Yep....

Originally posted by madhat
7.70s in the eight right?

1st and only time to the track 7.77 in the 1/8, 22lbs of boost, on Radial Tires. Granted this is not that fast, however it's not bad for the first outting and a total street tune and trim.

Oooops my combo. should have had the alky. kit listed. :eek:

Best way to use that recommended alky. chip. ;)

I disagree with not feeling a difference between a 44/49 vs a stocker on lower boost. At 15-17 psi the 44 is still flowing more and there is a very noticable difference. even at low boost im sure its 15-25 hp/trq throught he whole rpm range, and thats pretty big.

For 93 octane with a stock converter.. the stock turbo gets my vote. A TA49 with a garret .63 will also work if you have to replace the turbo.

If you get a chip with reduced timing you may squeeze out a few extra PSI and get away with it. Something like a 20-17 from Eric. That way it runs a little extra timing in the lower gears then pulls it out.

Also becuase a car can make it to the 1/8 mile doesnt mean it can make it through the 1/4 mile without seeing knock when octane is limited.

So a scantool is number 1. I would do FP/filter/injectors/chip as number 2 and start the tuning process. My feeling on injectors.. get 50's.

HTH