Besides Buicks any mopar owners here?

Little6pack

I never really had any mopars over the years except a 63 polara & 85 GLH both for brief period.

What do you look for when buying one from 66 to 71.
Common things to ask or view.

I am sure it is the basic stuff you would look for on any car. I am looking for mopar specific.

I have a 70 Road Runner and a 71 Dart. Biggest thing to look for is rust on the floor pans and in the trunk. One thing, Mopar parts r waaay more expensive than GM parts.
Personally I'd buy a car already finished...it's cheaper and a lot less headaches...the 70 RR was a one year run and it makes parts outragous. But mopars r fun and get lots of attention!

Lets

Not forget about front fram rust near the torsion area mopar streeched the metal in these cars so thin they rust very easy .but they do get alot of looks .and take alot of money to keep up but if you have a rare one you can pretty much write your own pay check when you sell it. Ive been offered $35.000 for my 73 cuda thats in a pile of parts in my warehouse .and its really not that popular like the early power models .but looks the same .

I own a 1976 Dodge Dart Lite. I would definitely agree that you should check for rust, in my case the front floorpans. Not sure about all the Mopar body styles but A-bodies are prone to leaks due to the wiper pivot seals rotting away and letting water pour in directly to the floor. The seals are not expensive and floorpans are still readily available however . Just extra work. Engine parts do tend to get a little pricey. Otherwise I love this car. Slant six and a 3spd w O/D, always are an interst point for people that look at it.

In fact I was looking to rebuild it, put on a turbo, upgrade the trans and rear at some point this year. Then I realized for the same amount I could get a GN that I've always wanted. Not that I'm getting rid of it, I've had my Dodge for 25 yrs or so. Just putting off the build on the Dodge till later. I can still do that a little at the time.

Anything popular will cost you a fortune and anything not popular will cost you a small fortune and then you will find no one makes parts. This is the entire reason for me going to turbo buicks. I simply cannot afford the 69 charger of my dreams. I was at an estate auction last summer where a crapped out non running 70 charger brought $8600. Then the guy had to buy the original (318) engine separate because it was on a pallet next to some other engines. Needed every bit of sheetmetal and a whole new interior. Granted, the buyer used to own it and was going to run it to the moon, but there was still another bidder there from out of town that wanted it $8500 bad. The seller had a nice driver 65 impala convert there that brought $5600. He also had like 12 parts and project impalas, some really rare stuff. SS converts, SS 2 door ht. etc. The charger brought more than all the chevies COMBINED. There were some chevy guy jaws on the ground...

With this market you should buy one that's done. True for any make actually. As far as what to look for, 70-71 E body stuff is worth its weight in gold. B bodies are second, followed by a bodies, c bodies are parts cars to most people but my family likes them. They are more affordable, but damn hard to find parts for.

I have a 64 Dodge Max Wedge pushbutton with a 452 stroker.
Also have a 65 Plymouth Bel 1 super stocker with 426 and 4 speed. 57,000miles
and a 1973 Dodge Charger SE 400 with 55,000 miles.

:biggrin:

Mopar

Miss my 1973 Cuda which I sold in September. Sold my 68 Roadrunner last March. The GN goes next......

I have 2 original general lees from the tv show, a 69 charger black with a 383, 68 charger rt matching numbers, 2010 plum crazy challanger srt8.... ya I got a few. Lol

Tor-red 70 GTX here. 440 A833-4speed, 4:30 gear. W six pack air grabber hood.

A newer Mopar with the heart of a Buick Park Ave. Ultra. 87 Shelby Charger(rear wheel drive conversion):cool:

Attachments

• IMG_3767.jpg
    IMG_3767.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0008-2.jpg
    IMG_0008-2.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0138-1.jpg
    IMG_0138-1.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0151-2.jpg
    IMG_0151-2.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 162
I used to be a Mopar guy and had a bunch over the years. They were dirt cheap back then, cheapest of the big three. Killer drivetrains, not so great bodys. I will always have a soft spot for the sound of a built big block Chrysler.

I've owned several over the years and will agree that the main thing to look for is rust. Each model has it's own quirks, but floor, trunk, and lower quarters and torsion bar boxes on all of them can be suspect.

The majority of Mopar enthusiasts are Number crunchers.

I sold a 70' Plymouth Duster about 3 years ago. Roughest car I've ever had, if you can think of it, it needed. SO rusty. BUT, it was Moulin Rouge (pink) 340 4 speed, bench seat, 3.90 sure grip and was all there including build sheet.

It brought $8900 on ebay. My uncle bought it for $250 ten years before.

Mopars just aren't affordable for the average guy anymore, unless you pick something off the wall or not popular. I love 66' Dodge Coronets, cool cars and you can buy a nice one for 10K.

I'm somewhere near triple digits in ownership of em+/-. Had or passed on alot of what's considerred historically significant cars these days. But I found that I liked the small block cars best and was never a big A-body fan despite owning some. I've ended up enjoying around 30ish F-Bodys over the years. Currently have a 76 Aspen RT 360 superpak, and a 78 Ply Super Coupe w/T-Tops and other nice options.

I'd get into the F-body's issues but you asking about Mopars doesn't likely mean you're looking for one of these!;)

68 Dart GTS big block car. It was my fathers car. Tears me apart, but its for sale...

Attachments

• IMG_0711.jpg
    IMG_0711.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0712.jpg
    IMG_0712.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 128
My Maxxie..64 Dodge 440.

:biggrin:

Attachments

• Dad's w slicks.jpg
    Dad's w slicks.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 107
Ex Mopar dude here, back in the day when they were reasonably priced and when they were the hot set-up to own but before they became collectable.

1) '69 plymouth GTX, white exterior white interior with light blue interior trim, 440, auto, courtesy turn indicator lights on the front fenders, Ansen slot mags, A/C, P/B, P/B, floor console, bought it in about '71 with 30K miles on the clock, totally non-molested and virtually pristine.
2) '70 Dodge Challenger T/A, ugly crazy plum purple, black interior, 340, 6 pack, 4 speed, bought in about '74 or so with about 25K miles on the clock, very quick and handled exceptionally well.
3) '68 Hemi GTX, white exterior, black wide hood stripes, black stripe at the bottom, black interior, 4 speed, Dana rear, Keystones, ex Las Vegas strip car.

I miss Mopars, but I would never try and restore one on todays market, but I would buy one completely restored if I had the $$ to do so. But probably only a '67 GTX- '69 GTX.