Bench

What protein do you take Coach? My stomach is very weak i saw big gains a few years ago using Myozene but my stomach just gave up on it. Horrible gas and soft stool. Only thing i can drink thats soft on my stomach is the cheap whey protein from GNC. Bison what do you drink?? I stopped using the pre work out drinks as well.
I use Protein Factory Whey Isolate lactose free. It very easy on your system and very reasonable in price. I buy 20-30lbs at a time. I have never been big on pre-workout drinks. They are all over priced. Best Pre-workout mix...Dextrose( fine baking sugar) 30g, creatine 5g, BCAA 5000mg, 4 L-Arginine tablets and 2 Niacin tablets. Then hit it.

Coach i would hit the like button on your arm but... I dont want the guys to think i like men with strong arms lol..
I have never been able to get muscle definition like your buddy up there. I would love to have that each muscle strand definition. I want to see each muscle strand rather than be bulk. Thats the hardest to get IMO

Coach i would hit the like button on your arm but... I dont want the guys to think i like men with strong arms lol..
I have never been able to get muscle definition like your buddy up there. I would love to have that each muscle strand definition. I want to see each muscle strand rather than be bulk. Thats the hardest to get IMO

Honestly, I don't think I'd want to be like that dude. Some people like the look, I don't. I'd rather just look naturally large, if you understand what I am saying. Coach's arm is probably the most defined I'd want to be. To each their own I guess.

Zack

I like pre and post Glutamine powder, with my multivitamin thats it, and an apple or banana pre. I also was told to have a small snack with atleast 20-30g of protein pre workout and to make sure to get atleast 160 grams of protein intake 24 hr period.

Ive done 405 at 195 lbs. 500 lb squat, never maxed on deads, but I was doing 505 for triples. Blew a knee up and now I'm a little more cautious with my training.

2 years ago i did a competition and put up 495 @ 197lbs. I lifted heavy for years and it is now taking a toll on my shoulders. I tore both shoulders and they arent feeling too good still. And i dont think they will heal without surgery. I generally stay at 315 for 10 reps for my max but did have to shut my training partner up a few weeks back and did 455 no problem.

I dont take protein due to forgeting and it does mess stomach up a little.

jdpolzin said:

Haha. I heard Cory hit you up about the "Fat chicks" story!!! That will go down in Turbo Buick history as the most f'd up night of all time.

2 years ago i did a competition and put up 495 @ 197lbs. I lifted heavy for years and it is now taking a toll on my shoulders. I tore both shoulders and they arent feeling too good still. And i dont think they will heal without surgery. I generally stay at 315 for 10 reps for my max but did have to shut my training partner up a few weeks back and did 455 no problem.

I dont take protein due to forgeting and it does mess stomach up a little.
Benching 500 lbs at under 200 lbs body weight you probably take more than protein LOL

I go to the gym 3 times a week and play basketball in a league once a week. I stopped lifting heavy, too old for that and not into hurting myself. I just lift 2 plates for 10 and stay there. I'm 195 @ 5'11 now and got some good definition. I like my size, it shows that I work out and doesn't take much to maintain it.

lol no extras. I have trained for 14 years straight this way.
I agree. Bench Press is a learned motion. I have seen guys who can bench incredible amounts of weight but cannot squat their bodyweight for a set of 10. If you practice something enough...you will excel in it to a point. Quez ( the huge kid in the pics above) believes that performing deadlifts for sets is useless. He will warm up with a a set of 315 for 10 or so, but after that is a rep or two until he hits 650-700. He uses NO STRAPS or anykind of grip assists. He is only 24 years old. He has been a competitive powerlifter for over 9 years now. Bodybuilding is new to him. He was ranked no.2 in the list of "up and coming" in Muscular Development mag last summer. His legs are holding him back, but he is now training with Masters Pro Jerome Coffee ( 30 inch thighs). He will get the job done. Quez has tested 4 different ways for enhancements and past every time. Blood, urine, hair and polygraph. He is a member of both NMA ( Natural Muscle Assn) and OCB ( Org of Competitive Bodybuilding).

Hey Coach (or Bison).. say someone of about 18 years old wanted to drop 50lbs from their frame as well as increase muscle mass before prom on May 31st.. They currently weigh in at 250 .. What would you suggest to them = D.

Zack

I agree. Bench Press is a learned motion. I have seen guys who can bench incredible amounts of weight but cannot squat their bodyweight for a set of 10. If you practice something enough...you will excel in it to a point. Quez ( the huge kid in the pics above) believes that performing deadlifts for sets is useless. He will warm up with a a set of 315 for 10 or so, but after that is a rep or two until he hits 650-700. He uses NO STRAPS or anykind of grip assists. He is only 24 years old. He has been a competitive powerlifter for over 9 years now. Bodybuilding is new to him. He was ranked no.2 in the list of "up and coming" in Muscular Development mag last summer. His legs are holding him back, but he is now training with Masters Pro Jerome Coffee ( 30 inch thighs). He will get the job done. Quez has tested 4 different ways for enhancements and past every time. Blood, urine, hair and polygraph. He is a member of both NMA ( Natural Muscle Assn) and OCB ( Org of Competitive Bodybuilding).

Very true

Also some people are pushers and some are pullers. Any press i have been naturally stronger at. Any pull movement im not crazy strong at. Its not my movement. Some are just well rounded and strong at all like Coach's friend.

ZNix said:
Hey Coach (or Bison).. say someone of about 18 years old wanted to drop 50lbs from their frame as well as increase muscle mass before prom on May 31st.. They currently weigh in at 250 .. What would you suggest to them = D.

Zack

Can't do both. You can cut weight, but the lack of calories taken in to achieve the loss will be less then you need to trigger growth. You can get stronger, but even full time bodybuilders that train naturally only add a true couple of pounds of muscle every year. I always end up pissing off a young boy at my college, when I hear..."I added 10 pounds of solid muscle over the summer!!!" I just shake my head and reply..."No you didn't!!!"
They preceed to tell me how last semester they weighed 175 and they are now 185. I reply with...maybe so, but it's not muscle. Your holding water more then likely. Now what they do not understand is...that is a good thing. They always take it as an insult, which doesn't bother me because most are cocky anyways. They buy 100's of dollars in supplements and other crap they don't need. Then one day I had a group of boys who were actually willing to listen. I had to go shopping anyways, so I ran down to our local Topps market. I got about 8 pounds of fresh sirloin steak from the butcher. I bought a box if zip loc bags, and went back to the gym. I took out pieces of meat and put them in the baggies. I took a student and put about a pound on each shoulder and had him hold a bag on each pec muscle. Then we put a T shirt back over his other shirt and bags of meat. He looked huge!!! I told the one boy...that's about 4 pounds of solid muscle!!! I'm sorry, but I don't see these results on you in the same way. Do you understand what I'm telling you now? He agreed and asked for some real advise.
I use this tactic to show what really adding 10 pounds of muscle would really look like. You would not be able to hide it at all. It would show somewhere. 4 pounds made a huge difference. Now I know that it doesn't all grow in one area, but when you can't show results with a tape measure, you can't prove to yourself you actually did it. We take measurements every month when we are on a bulking diet. We also take body fat ratings. Then every year we show or just lean out, we have solid numbers to go by.
Example...2011 when I weighed 180lbs I was 16% body fat.
2013...I just hit 180 and I'm now 13.5%. That's how I know I added some muscle. The number will get more accurate as I drop fat. Last show I was 6.7% on stage. I weighed 161lbs. If I get to 6.7% again...I should be 163.5 or so. If I go below 6.7% I will weigh about what I did before.

I agree with coach to an extent. But it is possible to pack on a couple pounds of muscle in a few months for a newbie male depending on the calorie intake. Men have a huge advantage when weight training and dieting at the same time over women. Hard anaerobic workouts will increase insulin sensitivity a lot and different insulin like growth factors will be released which will help mimic insulins hypertrophic properties even though blood insulin will be relatively low if the diet is right. You are definitely going to need to burn a lot more than you're taking in to drop a lot of weight in a short time period. This leads to muscle loss most often but when combined with anaerobic training at the correct intensity it will be reversed. You need to get your metabolism jacked so that you're burning calories post workout. Usually I rec any cardio be done in the early a.m. while blood sugar is
at it's lowest. This will insure fat is being burned for energy then backed up with a proper breakfast. Then eating small meals very often to increase metabolic rate. You wind up with a very positive chain reaction that will get the fat flying off you and still have energy throughout the day. The more muscular you become the more calories you can burn while doing nothing. Becoming lean and very muscular takes years of hard work. I've been lucky in that I can eat a lot of calories and not get fat and gain muscle fairly easily. I showed a very ectomorphic body type throughout my teens and early 20's. Now
I look like almost pure mesomorph. Work capacity will determine level of fitness. Spending more time in the gym will not improve results. You need to get more done in the same time or less. Volume has to increase over a long period of time or overtraining will leave you feeling like a bag of poop and you may actually go backward. My gym sessions are 45min to 1 hour. I get 2-3 times as much work done in that time as you average Joe. It's no surprise I'm 2-3x as strong as them. Supplements are just that. No magic tricks out there. Enough with my off topic rant. Sorry for slopping the thread with totally off topic posting.

This thread is depressing me. I used to lift hard until last May when I screwed my back up when I did something wrong doing squats. I should have listened to my body that day, then in June I had a car accident at work, didn't help the healing process. Still struggling through the injury but will get back to where I was. I'm 5'10 245 right now I'm 43 years young. IMG_3644.JPG