Belt squeak/loose pulley

Tgl211

While changing my serpentine belt because of an annoying squeak I noticed some play in the crank pulley. Not a tremendous amount but some non the less. I'm wondering if I have a loose crank pulley bolt or if there is a certain amount that is normal.

There should be no play in the crank pully. The if it's in and out play, your balancer bolt may be loose; if it's back and forth, the key may be compromised. Either way, it needs to be fixed. Take off the IC fan and check the bolt. Don't just check it with your hand. Put a wrench on it and make sure it is tightedned to at least 210 ft pounds.

If it comes loose then it will crack behind the seal and then you have to get an another one for around $70 used...

Thank you for the replies. It appears to be more side to side than in and out. I'll pull the fan and check it out. What is the fix if the key is compromised? Is simply replacing it all that is needed?

It could also be both the bolt and the balancer too. If the bolt came loose, it could cause movement which would affect the key and/or balancer. Best case situation-just tighten the bolt; next best-get a new balancer because keyway is enlarged by movement; worst case-crank snout is damaged. I'll bet it's just a loose bolt. :smile: Are you sure it's not just the pulley or ic fan slipping, or is the balancer moving too?

Okay, upon further inspection of the crank bolt it looks like it is somewhat loose. Can anyone tell me what size socket is needed there. The largest I have is 1" and that is too small. Hopefully this will actually take care of the problem.

i had a similar problem with the belt noise.if this doesnt fix your problem, check the bracket on driverside for loose or broken bolts. I tried to find my squeak for months , come to find out the unseen bolt on the acc. bracket was broken off in the head.:mad: