Before Black BS'ing thread.

FOUND AN INTAKE IN GOOD SHAPE:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Will upload pics later...

Holley Dominator Intake Manifold 75 bones.

Wrong intake kid. That's one for the low port heads not the 79 and up heads.:redface:

What?... you don`t like my heater?:biggrin: Its the best I could come up with... winter is coming faster than usual.

Well it's been in the 80's for the last week so I'm happy.:biggrin: It's been a little chilly in the mornings though. I had to turn the heater on the other morning just to warm up a little. I think it was in the low 50's.:rolleyes:

bench racing time.

78-79 Riviera turbo 3.8, 4bbl, 1985 Chilton auto repair manual states factory rated at 165HP and 245 TQ, 8.0:1 CR.....

1982 LK9 V6 2bbl 3.0L FWD; 110HP/145TQ, 8.45:1 CR...

now suppose I were to fit the low port heads/intake manifold from the Riv system onto the LK9, and deck the block down a little to achieve 9.0:1 CR (or cut the Heads to get the same CR by having smaller combustion chambers?)
would it be possible to get closer to the HP of the Riv engine?

related question; how do i know which heads are low port or high port on the FWD buick engines? i've found references that it can use the 8445 heads, and other casting numbers; but nothing to indicate which ones are low ports or high ports other than years?
for that matter, is this intake manifold a low port type?
!Byl4jcw!2k~$(KGrHqUOKnQEw9MoVEVFBMSbHHEBvQ~~_3.JPG

bench racing time.

78-79 Riviera turbo 3.8, 4bbl, 1985 Chilton auto repair manual states factory rated at 165HP and 245 TQ, 8.0:1 CR.....

now suppose I were to fit the low port heads/intake manifold from the Riv system onto the LK9, and deck the block down a little to achieve 9.0:1 CR (or cut the Heads to get the same CR by having smaller combustion chambers?)

related question; how do i know which heads are low port or high port on the FWD buick engines? i've found references that it can use the 8445 heads, and other casting numbers; but nothing to indicate which ones are low ports or high ports other than years?

ok, well you have a small bore with the 3.0 so that shrouds the valves really hard, which limits the breathing. especially not intercooled... boost needs to be high on that motor to make the power.

is the intake aluminum or cast iron?

as general rule of thumb, any heads earlier than 79 are low port.

A.j.

Quite sure the Cast Iron Riv manifold is low port style. I made OK respectable power without an intercooler but now that I've used one I'm not going back to hotair running gasoline. E85 yeah I'd probably ditch the intercooler.

Quite sure the Cast Iron Riv manifold is low port style. I made OK respectable power without an intercooler but now that I've used one I'm not going back to hotair running gasoline. E85 yeah I'd probably ditch the intercooler.

exactly what i was thinking.... the advantage he has though, is with the small bore.... comes the resistance to detonation....

A.j.

actually you're probably thinking of the 3300 that has the small bore; the LK9 and LN7 3.0s are 3.8" bores with very short strokes. (LN7 is the 1985-1988 MFI engine used in the N bodies and C bodies)

damn i wish you guys were closer.......... its a blazer kinda evening...

no cars...

no women....

no bills....

no drama........

pack of white owls, fresh glass, some rollies and my Roy Ayers record.

gonna be one dead Oz'er

TONIGHT>>>>>>>>> Liquid Love.

:cool:A.j.

I Know that Kind of Night, I love em.... I kinda did the same with some Bishop LAmont Cd's. Lemme know if you find that 8 track player.

They were the same. The 79 Riv engine was rated 180 HP, the 79 Regal wasrated less. I don't see how the Riv could have been more restrictive with a better HP rating?

apparently the heads on the 3.0 LK9 had the same ports as the 79 regal turbo heads...this is from the guy who actually has one on a 1984 LK9 3.0L engine. the plot, she thickens more than beyonce!

apparently the heads on the 3.0 LK9 had the same ports as the 79 regal turbo heads...this is from the guy who actually has one on a 1984 LK9 3.0L engine. the plot, she thickens more than beyonce!

ok my question now is.... why the 3.0?

why not a regular 231 or 252?

A.j.

ok my question now is.... why the 3.0?

why not a regular 231 or 252?

A.j.

becasue the 1982 ciera coupe nearby has a 3.0 in it currently and because i haven't found a FWD distributor 231 that does not need rebuilding or parts for under $300 locally....hell, if I am able to find a G body 3.8v6 car that's a runner for under $1,000 or $500, I;m money ahead and will be sticking around here much more often than I already am lol; however because I was able to buy the A_car I have for $300, and am planning to offer $200-250 to the owner of the 82 Ciera since it was for sale a year ago and hasn't sold.........here's what I'm thinking; if i can make a turbo 3.0 set up work in the 82 ciera and make an OK amount of power given the limitations, (all the torque is what I;m after at the moment, since even though the 3300 and 3100 v6s from 1989-1996 made 165hp, they only made 185 torque, whereas the turbo can give the 3.0 a much needed kick in torque, even with the limitation of the HP tuning from 110HP stock) for under $1000 or so, means i have to do epic deals and scrounging and fabricate own stuff to make it all work.....

sheesh man.... and i thought i was a bottom dollar hunter!

you have got your work cut out for ya...

A.j.

well. $50 for the riv intake right now. if i can get hte 82 ciera for $250, that puts it to 300 right there, then there's $700 left of work to go towards the turbo, exhaust down pipe, custom up pipe using the stock cross over piece (these A-car engines uses a system that has a separate crossover/down pipe) and thats if the car runs OK...likely will also spend money on tuning and getting the engien checked out, as its also likely it has the stock nylon timing gear and flat tappet cam, so will need to check if the cam has worn down..if so, then bam theres more money to be spent on getting a cam, but thats already in the plans anyhow because the stock NA cam isnt great for turbocharging, correct? SO...if i can find a turbo for $100 or so that can be used with a carb/turbo system, or your carbon seal thing, then that makes things easier,.....but chances are, the turbo is gonan be more than $100 lol, unless someone has an used C/T turbo here that might need a rebuild kit...:) yes I am aware my work is pretty much cut out for me...lol. and because I already have a runnign car, I can afford somewhat to be working on another car without worrying about rides to anywhere :)

bench racing time.

wow where do you find that. btw if you dont want that pevr i will take it.:tongue:

its on ebay for $50. i;d suggest ya grab it just in case i cannot get it lol. (and maybe hold on to it for me eventually ;) lol)