Before Black BS'ing thread.

Wow, an Astre that has not rotted out or the engine gone bad. I put an Olds 215 aluminum V8 in an Astre wagon for a customer around 1976. He was a local pinstriper and bought the car new. It was black, and of course pinstriped. The one in the ad is dying to have a Buick V6 in it.

I would love that! :)

Strangely, i would like to do a turboed ecotec or just high comp 13.5:1 NA E85 ecotec or iron duke for that car. Build something that would be decently fast and get good mileage.

I would love that! :)

Strangely, i would like to do a turboed ecotec or just high comp 13.5:1 NA E85 ecotec or iron duke for that car. Build something that would be decently fast and get good mileage.

Would have to be an eco-tec....
Would be the cheapest power with good gas milage.

Duke is hard to build, expensive, and for the most part not gas efficient

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Quad 4? Dad had the super high performance version in a 91 Acieva years ago he accidentally bought as a beater car. I never drove it since I was like 13 and it kicked a head gasket out, read a few years later that it aparently made 190HP in stock form.

Quad 4? Dad had the super high performance version in a 91 Acieva years ago he accidentally bought as a beater car. I never drove it since I was like 13 and it kicked a head gasket out, read a few years later that it aparently made 190HP in stock form.

The quad 4 had more than a few issues and the head gaskets were just one of them. Timing chains and ignition issues were just as common. It might be fun to drive but you'd end up with some down time when it breaks.

So I started pricing out ecotec stuff, wow is it expensive. I cant get a 2.2 ecotec with reasonable miles out of a salvage yard for under $600. They wont sell wiring, ECM, or accessories with it, end up being $1000 just for the motor, then I gotta get a F body T5. Then I gotta see how im going to get a RWD trans on it, build a harness, get the AC and heater to work, blah blah blah, not worth it.

I think my tried and true RWD 3800 setup that Ive already figured out would be easier. I can get a complete RWD 3800 T5 complete for $1000 no problem. And I already know how to build it. Wouldnt get the fuel mileage, but a turboed 3800 should still get 28ish if its got a t5 and in a 2700lb car

I think a 215 would be rather expensive.

3800 would be the most reasonable and weigh almost the same.

still think a northstar would have been cool... and lighter then that 215.

In my further research ecotecs have their own bellhousing pattern too, so I would need a solstice/sky trans. As luck would have it the only manual solstice trans in the state is 60 miles from me, and so is the engine. Confident it could be bought complete for under $1k, so that works great.

But I still need something with 4wd or a good winter car, so there in lies my LS 5.3 swapped 80's AMC Eagle.

Too many projects, not enough space/time/money. :)

Does anybody else get frustrated at core charges? At parts stores I can understand, but at salvage yards mostly. If you buy a used trans its not like they are going to rebuild your wore out one, they are going to throw it in the scrap pile. Just a way to get another 20% of the part cost out of you.

Random thought of the day.