Bear or Aerospace?...

toofastforyou

2FAST4U
Sometime in the future, I plan to go with 4 wheel disc brakes on my GN, and would like your opinions on them. My main question is this: Should I go with "BAER" or "AEROSPACE" ?

Thanks.

Claude. :)

P.S: Some pictures (and maybe some part #'s too) would be great!...:wink:

If money is no option id say go Baer. I had Aerospace on my Camaro and the rotors warped after about 200 miles of street driving. I would think the Aerospace are lighter but the rotors did not appear to be as street worthy as a set of Baers would be.

But, the Baers are quite a bit more expensive and heavier im sure. I probably had a set of Aerospace on my car that were more race then street (Don't remember what model they were) but they left a bad taste in my mouth and I would go Baer if money was not a real option. They appear to be the best setup for a street car.

Either way I would choose Wilwood if not Baer. But that's just my personal opinion. Im sure many have Aerospace and have had no issues.

Without a question, go with Baer. I've been studying brake systems for a while now trying to figure out what I want to do. The systems you see at the track like Aerospace and Wilwood work OK, the lighter rotors will work but warp easily. With Baer you get a top notch system without worries.

Thank you guys for your replies. I'm getting mixed opinions on this......I also got a "pm" from a member who has some Aerospace's and he says he's happy with them and no warping problems...
I guess it all comes down to a it, being a matter of personal taste?...I dunno...
Appearance-wise, the Aerospace calipers seem to look better...
Anyways, I'm in no rush...I still have several things to do on my car before going to this...but I eventually will have to do it, especially with my new engine which should put me in the 9's...
I even asked Jack Cotton's opinion...he says Bear's also...
Thanks and keep the replies coming! :wink:

Claude.

I have over 10k on my Aerospace without warping, but my kit is around the 2003 era. I don't have the drag kit and the rotors are solid since it's for the street.

It's possible Aerospace is now cutting corners, but I'd save the $$ and go Aero again, even if the rotors warped every 10k since they're cheaper to replace.

I'm going to do a rear kit eventually on my GTO to match the fronts, those have about 3k on them and are still going strong (did both kits at the same time).

The thicker rotors won't warp like the lighter racing rotors will. I think Wilwood calls their thicker rotors a Pro street version.

After working on cars with all types of brakes. Aerospace, Wilwood, Strange and Baer it's clear why the Bear's are a little higher. The quality of construction and design is much better than any of the others.

For the record I still run stock brakes on the front and a stock type disc on the rear. I saw no need to change to something just as heavy as my stock brakes such as a pro street kit and the light weight brake system will warp. I run mostly 1/8 mile tracks with shorter shutdowns. Stopping a 3500# car from 150 isn't easy on the brakes. When something is available that fits my needs as far as lightweight, durable and reliable, I'll be all over it.

After working on cars with all types of brakes. Aerospace, Wilwood, Strange and Baer it's clear why the Bear's are a little higher. The quality of construction and design is much better than any of the others.

Well...at first I was leaning towards the Aerospace's...but after reading several member's replies (including yours Dusty), it seems that Baer's are a better product. Jack Cotton also said the same thing...
So I guess that when the time comes, I will likely be getting some Baer's...:redface:

Claude. :smile:

now that I'm beginning to dip into the 9's, I think more and more about getting some aftermarket brakes for my car...But after looking at both manufacturers websites, I think I prefer the looks of the Aerospace's over the Baer's...(See pictures below Baer on the left, Aerospace on the right)
Also with Aerospace, you can get the calipers anodized in all these colors (see third picture) :smile: as opposed to only red, black or silver for Baer's :(...

Claude.:smile:

Has anyone ever posted up pics of a buildup using aerospace or baer brakes? Are they a true bolt on? I thought the ls setup was cool but i dont like the idea of chopping up the rearend housing...Im thinking of going with aerospace....

Has anyone ever posted up pics of a buildup using aerospace or baer brakes? Are they a true bolt on? I thought the ls setup was cool but i dont like the idea of chopping up the rearend housing...Im thinking of going with aerospace....
I will be doing a complete BAER Track4 build up on the front and rear of my car here shortly so watch for the thread. I plan to post step by step procedures along with pictures and a detailed write up.

The difference between the BAER kits and Aerospace is that the Aerospace kits are more geared towards the drag racing while BAER is more geared towards Autocross / Road course racing and can withstand some very high temps, not sure about the aerospace...

BAER has recently stepped towards the drag racing side of things and i'm sure their kit will work very well in that application. Dusty knows as he recently went with a BAER kit for his drag car.

Anyone interested in a BAER kit let me know, we are an authorized dealer for them and will give a discount to TB.com members.

Scot W.

Here is what I'm going with! BAER Track4 vs Stock g-body brakes

Attachments

• BAERbrake.jpg
    BAERbrake.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 671
I can take some pics of the Baer kits with the smaller calipers and rotors for the drag cars this weekend for you Claude. I am very pleased with the product. The calipers are built using the same seals and piston tech as the road race stuff.

Here are the dual caliper rears but the front calipers for the drag kits are the same. They look awesome.

Attachments

• brakes0004.jpg
    brakes0004.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 697
I can take some pics of the Baer kits with the smaller calipers and rotors for the drag cars this weekend for you Claude. I am very pleased with the product. The calipers are built using the same seals and piston tech as the road race stuff.

Here are the dual caliper rears but the front calipers for the drag kits are the same. They look awesome.

Wow Dusty, I didn't know you could have dual calipers for the rear! :eek:...Not only it looks awesome, but I suppose they give you twice the stopping power, right?...or no? Is this setup listed on their website or is it a custom-made installation?

Thanks,

Claude. :wink:

P.S: Do you know if Aerospace has an equivalent setup?

Wow Dusty, I didn't know you could have dual calipers for the rear! :eek:...Not only it looks awesome, but I suppose they give you twice the stopping power, right?...or no? Is this setup listed on their website or is it a custom-made installation?

Thanks,

Claude. :wink:

P.S: Do you know if Aerospace has an equivalent setup?

Yes, they do drastically increase stopping power, especially when you think about the front tire's contact patch being small so you can't run alot of brake on the front of a drag car. The benefit most don't realize is holding power of them while staging. I can easily stage a V6 Buick at well over 4000 rpm with these brakes and my converter. I could actually hit the 2 step at 4400 rpm while still only on the footbrakes. They make staging a turbo car much easier when running a pro-tree. My car has stopped from 152 on our local 1/8 track with no chute with plenty of room to spare. I love them.

I do think Aerospace has a similiar set-up but after using all of them including Wilwood on various cars. I'm partial to the Baer.

Yes, they do drastically increase stopping power, especially when you think about the front tire's contact patch being small so you can't run alot of brake on the front of a drag car. The benefit most don't realize is holding power of them while staging. I can easily stage a V6 Buick at well over 4000 rpm with these brakes and my converter. I could actually hit the 2 step at 4400 rpm while still only on the footbrakes. They make staging a turbo car much easier when running a pro-tree. My car has stopped from 152 on our local 1/8 track with no chute with plenty of room to spare. I love them.

I do think Aerospace has a similiar set-up but after using all of them including Wilwood on various cars. I'm partial to the Baer.

Thanks Dusty for explaining...Does that mean that I could expect some 60 ft. times as good or close to the ones I get with a trans-brake using that dual caliper setup? I'm asking this because some local tracks in my area do not allow trans-brakes in the"semi-pro" class (which is mostly for "door" cars like mine). If I want to use the trans-brake, they will make me run in "super-pro", a class in which there are a lot of dragsters...:rolleyes:

Claude.:)

P.S: The times in my signature was done without using the trans-brake by fear of breaking the transmission (200-4R) apart! Next year, I'm going with a TH-400...:wink:

The rear disk set-up from Baer will allow you to mount the caliper on either in front of the axle or behind it. If you want dual rear calipers, mount them front and rear! :)

With the Baer manufacturing facility on a few miles away, it is awesome to visit and see the stuff being built. Their quality standards are extremely high which is reflected in all their products.

Customer service is second to none, and Rick, a sales tech, owns a turbo Buick or 2, and also has a TTA in the family.

The large facility also does installs, so they are very aware and helpful when it comes to install or operating issues.

They also are on the cutting edge of technology like their 6 piston, one piece caliper. A special tool was made for them to machine this unit.

Of course there are MANY local racers and street cars using Baer brakes and never hear of any issues, a great product! :biggrin:

I also vote for Baer. I have the "track plus" setup and coupled with the hydroboost it stops on command and holds plenty of boost. The install was drama free as well. I have no experience with Aerospace brakes but had 4 wheel disc Wilwood brakes on a '67 Cougar in the past and would put the quality on par with my current Baer kit.

IMG_1375.jpg

IMG_1376.jpg

DSC01320.jpg

Thanks Dusty for explaining...Does that mean that I could expect some 60 ft. times as good or close to the ones I get with a trans-brake using that dual caliper setup? I'm asking this because some local tracks in my area do not allow trans-brakes in the"semi-pro" class (which is mostly for "door" cars like mine). If I want to use the trans-brake, they will make me run in "super-pro", a class in which there are a lot of dragsters...:rolleyes:

Claude.:)

P.S: The times in my signature was done without using the trans-brake by fear of breaking the transmission (200-4R) apart! Next year, I'm going with a TH-400...:wink:

Yes. The dual caliper set-up will hold more rpm and boost at the line than any single caliper set-up could.

Aw thanks guys! :)

Many of our systems are not as badly priced as most think. Our new front drag system runs $945 (in powder red, black or silver) or $845 in clear anodized (like Dustys pic).

Claude we can do other colors, red, black or silver are just the standard offering. We powdercoat our calipers we learned years ago that anodizing colors fades bad with heat (unless hard anodizing). Red calipers look nice and pink in a short time period :)

If you have questions feel free to contact me direct :)

Thx

I have Aerospace on my car but have no drag time on the car to let you know if i really like them or not.
Keep in mind that certain wheels and wheel sizes well interfere with the calipers if you get bigger then 10.5" rotors.
You should talk to the manufacturer and let them know what wheels you intend to run along with size/offset.
They do have shims to center the caliper to the rotor, at least get it close.
I have 11 3/4" rotors on the rear of my car and had to clearance the calipers to fit.
The front has smaller diameter rotors which fit ok but the offset (caliper to rotor)is slightly off and you can't do anything about it except get it as close as possible.

How much do the Baer street/strip brakes sell for?

The front drag package (basically very similar to the street version, just clear anodized, no hoses and hubs do not come assembled and pre-packed with grease are $845.00. These will have a 1/2" stud instead of the stock 12mm.

This features our S4 4-piston caliper (uses stainless pistons, has dual seals (pressure and dust seal), so it meets DOT specifications, 11" 2pc rotor 1" thick that is directionally vaned (specific left and right side so when the rotor spins it acts like a pump to cool the brake down), hawk pads, brackets, hardware, aluminum hubs, bearings, studs, billet dust caps.

These require the customer to modify his spindle (cut the factory caliper bracket off and drill/tap the spindle for our bracket). This is exactly what all the other manufacturers do as well. We can also do the spindle mods if required at an additional charge.

The Street version is basically the same system but hubs will come assembled, uses correct 12mm studs, has hoses, different hawk pads, and can come in colors. Street versions in powder finish are $995.00

For the rear we have 2 options. For the stock 8.5" 10 bolt we offer our SS4 rear. This features the same S4 caliper (smaller piston sizes to be used as a rear), with a 12" 1pc rotor (still directionally vaned). The reason the rear is a 12" 1pc is we have a drum in hat type rear park brake. This is a direct bolt on and features a billet backing plate that will bolt to the stock flange on the g-body. This is a pretty neat system as to use the fixed caliper on a c-clip rear (the axle will move) we float the caliper on the bracket. These rear systems complete with cables run $1195.00 in clear anodize finish or $1295.00 in powder coat. Due to the 12" rotor this might not fit in all 15" wheels. Templates are available to check wheel fitment.

The other option is for the guys with a fix bearing rear (like a 9", 9" ends, 10/12 bolt with a 3.120 bearing etc). If you have this modification and don't need park brake we can do a SS4+ rear. This is like what Nick and Dusty have mentioned and feature the rear S4 caliper mounted to an 11" 2pc rotor to match the SS4+ front. These rears are the smallest rear rotors on the market and will fit most rear wheels including dual beadlock. The bracket will come set up for dual calipers (also an option), the bracket will act as a bearing retainer and this system runs $675.00.

There is the quick run down :) Anybody have any questions feel free to contact me direct.

Thx!